RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever belt is connected to the fan, starts at the bottom of the block and goes straight up is very lose. Is there an easy tension adjustment or does it just need to be replaced?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If it's the same as my 89 then yes. I think you're talking about the belt that comes off the crank and drives the water pump and the fan.
From the front of the engine there is a jockey-wheel to the left of the belt. This needs loosening, repositioning and re-tightened.

However if you're in there you may as well replace the belt. But then you need to remove the A/C belt. So you may as well replace that too. That has a jockey-wheel adjuster the same as the fan belt.

J

·
Registered
334 Posts
But you can see the tension-wheel, with no belt around it?

If so, sounds like someone has used the wrong belt, one that is too short, and has bypassed the tension wheel. :shock:

I'm basing this off the assumption that the belt layout is the same on an 89 as it is on an 87. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is the layout of the fanbelts. Two place where you have to adjust by yourself (red circle) and two tensioners (yellow highlight).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts