RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

So today was a bit chilly (-29C in the morning) and the Rangie overheated. Apparently the windchill was a bit much for the coolant (green and I assume 50:50 mix so -36C rated) and it froze. No idea when it has been changed.

So car cooled and radiator melted during the day while it was plugged to heater and I plugged the front of the vehicle with cardboard. I checked the coolant level not quite sure what it should be.

I've checked the RAVE manual and Heynes and they seem to to picture radiator reservoirs with marker for the coolant level. I have just blow by can with no markers and it's empty. Also there's no level in the fillup hole when I peak into it. Currently the level is about 10cm from the top of the radiator. Is this around the correct mark to compensate for the flow and expansion?

reservoir.jpg

The level is about level of the bottom of that numerical stamp in the radiator (~10cm from the top).
radiator.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
The level is way down, the radiator should be completely full and thermal expansion should push coolant into the header tank. The should be a plate inside the header tank showing the level when cold but if it is missing for whatever reason, then the level wants to be between half and two thirds full.

From the 87-92 manual

RRC header.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts