RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else here think the-key-in-door & window-still-open chime sounds like something from an 80s pinball machine? i hate it. i recently have been enduring rapid random door lock actuating for no reason and also my inner driver door latch is broken. i have to roll the fricking window down then open it from the outside to get out of the truck.... so annoying. when i pull the key when the door is open so i can escape, it goes beeep beeep beeep beeep beeeps warning me i left the key in. so incredibly annoying.

i was wondering if any one knew where the chime module is and if any on has replaced it with a nice dong dong dong, or even a ding din ding. i feel like im on the apollo 13 capsule and im being warned of low critical oxygen every frickin time i get out of my car. maybe its my past life as a ww2 subamariner that makes me think the alarm sounds like a warning the whole vehicle is gunna explode when i get out but i hate this annoying chime. what a cheap way to make a warning sound. cheapens the whole thing. like some radio shack pressure warning on a kids science experiment. ENT ENT ENT ENT ENT..... my nightmare antique digital alarm wake up sound.

i bet a nice cadillac chime could be wired in somehow.

also i could use advice on how to fix the inner door handle. dealership says the door latch is a complete set and that theres no plastic pins like a normal car to replace. i doubt this is true. anyone know how to re attach the door handle? ENT ENT ENT ENT ENT. help end this madness!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Rear of the instrument cluster is where the offending item resides.
It gets its signal from the Becm though, so......:think:

Martin

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
THe wire is at the base of the belt receiver adn simply has to be unplugged.

D

·
0 Posts
As already mentioned there is a small speaker on the back of the speedo head... so it would be simple to add a (few ohms) resistor in the circuit to reduce the level of that irritating 'beep beep beep' at least !

As for your locks I have had the similar delight of having to use the outside handle to get out of the car (-as many of us have-) but such door items are available from breakers/ebay/etc relatively cheaply of course..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was hoping there was a module like a fuse relay, but I guess its not that simple. Yea I'm not talking about the seat belt alarm either its the warning about the key being still in when the door is opened that I'm talking about.

Even outside my problem of opening the door from the outside.... I've always thought that this chime is really repugnant, sounds like its from the 80s, and I wish there was a mod out there. I'm not sophisticated enough to make my own fix but I was hoping someone else has done some kind of switch out before.

Also since it's behind the speedo does that mean that you have to pull the whole dash off?

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Just the knee panel, cluster bezel and then the cluster. Make sure to leave the keys in the house so you don;t accidently turn on the ignition with the cluter out.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
If the speaker is disconneted all warning sounds, chimes and signal toens are lost. You will totally be dependant on visual warnings and verification of systems.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can disconnect the speaker without any reprecussions, but then your Rangie goes mute, no signal or hazard tick tock, no beeps telling you sunroof not closed etc etc.

I kinda miss it on my recent purchase and thinking of plugging it back in

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Quite frankly there is NEVER a time when I would want it disconnected. It chimes for a reason. If you don;t want to hear it chime when you forget your keys... don;t leave your keys in the ignition. It works as a very good training aide. Think of yourself as a new dog in the house of Pavlov.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i dont mind a warning but does it have to go into a pinball machine's tilt alarm? i just want to replace the sound effect not the whole thing. just guess ill have to get a mark III.... that is unless rrtoadhall....or scotty...or 911... or getlost can find a solution.

personally i think the french are our only hope. looking at you 911!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Not quite sure of the rational of just disconnecting stuff that is trying to tell you it's not happy, just so you can continue to get out of the car in the manner you are. What if you need to get out quick? and/or there's no power, or your switch pack decides to give up? Problems like this have the ability to compound themselves very quickly if not dealt with promptly.

Take the door card off and investigate what's actually going on, it maybe the cable/hook [into the handle] has just slipped out of the hard plastic retainer (as its lost its retaining ability) if you pull on the handle hard (at the end of it's travel) it pulls the cable/hook at an angle less than 90 deg. and so [with force, and wear] can just pop out.

Of course if this has happened once it's probably going to happen again. Its also possible the cable has come off at the latch end, but this is much harder to do here because it has a dog leg. The actually latch issue probably needs replacing if nothing visually is apparent, then yes Scotty will be able to help here just PM him.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its all in good fun, tongue in cheek asking for help. Just ranting about that noise. I hated it even on the test drive where the seat belt alarm was going off. It just sounds like it belongs in a car 20 years older. I was hoping there was just a relay like module that could be pulled out. I have to wait to fix the handle because of it's ungodly price.

D

·
0 Posts
Of course NAS rigs tend to operate that awful 'beep beep beep'/'warning signal' more frequently....but only 12 screws are involved to get to the irritating speaker/sounder: Again just put a few ohms in series with it, or wrap it up [in a plastic bag + duct tape] maybe ?!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think the beeps are over kill, but I kinda like them, they definitely get your attention. One of my friends stated while listening to the beeps on start up that it sounded as if you were about to launch a missile. The only sound I've come across that comes close to what the P38's beeps sound like is when a Russian plane lands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSK2gLDpOYY (Skip to 3:15 to hear it).

D

·
0 Posts
That noise at 3.15 is quite close to the P38 chime but I believe it indicates a malfunction...

However I have now decided to build a programmable chime.... 'Red Alert', 'This is not a drill' and so on, maybe just a woman's gentle voice - softly saying 'beep, beep, beep'.... Perhaps Holly from Red Dwarf would be OK... 'Flaming Asteroid/Worm Hole Ahead' anyone.... ?

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
If you want a voice there is always the very 80's popular Electronic Voice Alert system. It rates right up with the War Games computer for annoyance and novelty.

D

·
0 Posts
Ah yes, the 'keys are in the ignition' - 'the keys are in the ignition' etc (repeat 10 times) type...

- and I suppose if we had a talking chime plus a talking GPS they might actually argue, too ?

Perhaps not such a good idea...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts