RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local body shop quoted me $800 to paint the following : front,rear,side, and side vent pieces in Java black. Does this sound like a good deal?

·
Registered
219 Posts
If they remove paint and replace them it is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I've talked to 3 body shops that will do the work but all stated that the black front molding and mirrors will peel off if a stone chip hits it.. The wind will get under the peel and start spreading.

Might want to check with a few folks on this board if their paint is chipping.

They would gurantee only the front grills, vents, door handles and rear cargo door molidng for $500

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine was A LOT more expensive than that.... Mine were all removed , sanded and painted though. I don't know what they are going to do to yours but it sounds too good to be true. If they are doing it right though , that is an awesome deal!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
The grey stuff, Grill, vents, door handle rear cargo door were all to be removed , sanded and painted.

I was told they could not sand or prep the black trim work including mirrors to be perfect and last.

On the FFRR of my neighbours - there is a trim at the bottom front that runs across - that is all peeling off too from a rock chip - seems like same material as our RRS, but just factory painted. BEfore selling, he peeled it off and looked better

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was told that they wont paint the mirror covers, and that they would have to install top and or bottom coded caps. Now that I think about your price, they must be leaving everything on your truck, then taping and spraying. Me personally, I wouldnt go that route just in case their is overspray and the color just doesnt match exactly.

If they are taking them off, I would ask them how they go about doing it. Thats the last thing you want is to have them take it off and force it back on and then something falls off when you hit a pot hole going 70 on the interstate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They said they will remove all pieces , sand , use some sort of priming agent , paint , and reinstall. If they are giving me a deal it is because I send them about $25,000+ in repairs every month. My insurance agency is a few miles from their shop. I just don't want this to turn in to a ghetto mess with paint falling off and what not. I need to find a few people that have done this. THe folks I have found, don't check the forum any more .. I guess.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I don't know if it helps you, but I found an ancient thread on this with some good suggestions and tips regarding color coding the plastic pieces you are considering: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4553. Back when I was considering doing the same thing to my car (almost 4 years ago) I had received quotes around $1000/1200 locally, so yours sounds like a very good deal indeed. Just make sure they do it right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it is a reputable shop that will sand and prep the surfaces correctly - I would say that is a great price! I was quoted over 1200 by a local body shop that wouldnt even guarantee it from peels and cracks. I know they make special plastic bonding primer.

Go for it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is a little late in the game for you probably (don't get much time on here anymore), but if it helps, i paid $1200 to have a Hamman rear/front valance installed/painted, and side skirts colormatched (they removed them to prep & paint). I got the standard 3 bids in town and went with the middle. Had it done a few months ago without any issues on the colormatched side skirts so far. Keep in mind i live in BFE, MO so things tend to be a little cheaper here. You can check the work done on mine at the link below:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16544&start=90

1 - 12 of 12 Posts