RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get your guys opinion on something.
I dropped off the Range today at the LR speciality shop for them to perform a 75K service. Unfortunately the dealer i took it to was telling me that i need to replace all of the fluids at 60 and 75 which might not be what Land Rover wants you to do but thats what they recommend and quoted me almost $1400. So i called the Indy shop and they said they can perform the LR recommended service based off the check list and quoted me $477. I was at work till 8 today so i didn't get a chance to pick up the car and i had my brother do it since i trusted the shop and paid them over the phone. Once i got the bill it was cheaper than what they quoted me and i called the shop to see why it was cheaper and they said they didn't have to replace the Dynamic Response valve block filter since it just needed to be cleaned, they didn't change the transfer gear box oil or the locking differential oil since it looked clean to them and they only topped off the fluids. The price was only $40 cheaper than what they quoted me. Is that the norm?? I'm going down to the shop tomorrow to ask them personally why they didn't perform the service when LR specifically says change/replace the fluids/filter since i feel like I'm given wrong information.

Im not an expert when it comes to Land Rovers but I'm assuming they are just like any other SUV's i owned and need the service as manufacture recommends. I just want to hear your thoughts on whats your experience in regards to the service and if it is acceptable not to change the fluids.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
and they said they didn't have to replace the Dynamic Response valve block filter since it just needed to be cleaned, they didn't change the transfer gear box oil or the locking differential oil since it looked clean to them and they only topped off the fluids. The price was only $40 cheaper than what they quoted me.
Let's break this down a la Micheal Keaton:

The transfer case: ~2 Qts of oil @ $18/qt + 1/2 hr labor (it takes about 15 mins to do but shops usually charge by the 1/2 hr)

The rear diff oil (locker) ~2 [email protected]$45/qt + 1/2 hr
The rear diff oil (non locker) ~2 [email protected]$18/qt

The front diff oil 1 [email protected]$18/qt + 1/2 hr

I think they owe you more than $40.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yea they deff owe you more than 40 dollars, seems like they just did and oil change and the front diff oil? i got all that replaced at 75k miles so not sure why they didn't bother to do it

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
By far the biggest part of the 75k is the t-case and locking rear diff fluids. I recommend all doing open diffs at the same time.

Also, there is no 'cleaning' the DR filter, that's like cleaning an oil filter.

On a side note, the front and rear diffs are not fill to level, they are a certain amount of fluid, so if they topped off the rear, without draining and measuring how much came out, you are now overfull.

With regard to the locking rear diff fluid, the 'special' fluid from Land Rover, with it's outrageous price, is normal synthetic 75w90, with a friction modifier in it for the LSD clutches. We use gear oil, Motul synthetic at a price of about $15 a Liter, and BG LSii as a friction modifier which is about another $15.

·
Registered
417 Posts
By far the biggest part of the 75k is the t-case and locking rear diff fluids. I recommend all doing open diffs at the same time.

Also, there is no 'cleaning' the DR filter, that's like cleaning an oil filter.

On a side note, the front and rear diffs are not fill to level, they are a certain amount of fluid, so if they topped off the rear, without draining and measuring how much came out, you are now overfull.
when do you recommend replacing the DR filter?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
DR filter is scheduled to be replaced at 75k.

There have been several issues with the system over time, and if the filter needs to be replaced before 75k, there is something else going on. It really has two filters, the first being the screen in the reservoir, So the only stuff that gets into the valve block filter, would come from wear in the system.

There is no scheduled interval for changing the fluid for the DR system, or the power steering fluid. I tend to recommend doing this on a fluid discoloration basis as opposed to a set mileage. The best way to check the fluid is to take a small LED light, and put the 'bulb' in the fluid, engine off, and see if the fluid glows. If it is opaque, it needs to be changed. With out the proper diagnostic tools, you cannot open and close the valves in order to fully flush the fluid, so it may be a suck and fill a few times with the engine running, drive it for a week, and repeat. Doing this a few times should get the fluid throughout the system pretty clean, as long as you allow the system to operate while driving, ie a few decent turns each day.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
With regard to the locking rear diff fluid, the 'special' fluid from Land Rover, with it's outrageous price, is normal synthetic 75w90, with a friction modifier in it for the LSD clutches. We use gear oil, Motul synthetic at a price of about $15 a Liter, and BG LSii as a friction modifier which is about another $15.
I just put in Redline's 75W90 Gear oil to my diff few months back - did I need to also add the BG LSii as well?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Redline's 75w90 fluid contains a friction modifier, so you should be fine. If you hear any chatter from the rear, which will not be anywhere close to a normal LSD due to it not being based purely on slip, add a modifier, but I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the information. I guess the shop did a power steering flush which is why my price was still high. The lady at the front desk told me that they just topped off the PS fluids. The shop guy is pretty much telling me that my fluids are clean like it must have been changed in the last 30K and didn't need to be changed. Which i have no record of the fluids ever being changed by the previous owner. i didn't want to wait another 75K to get those fluids changed since im pretty sure i will be owning the Range for another 3-4 years and want to avoid any issues because i didn't service the car according to manufacture specs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts