RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am currently at 74k miles on my 12 supercharged and the service required reminder has recently come on. I have previously had the dealer preform routine services and my last one at 60k was only $471.88 (yes, I know I’m bad I usually always do 10k intervals but got busy and am on the factory 15k schedule this time) I deal with the service manager himself after having an issue with an advisor last service so he said he would take care of me and see if he can get the $795 - 75k mile service price down. What have others paid for this service? I am currently scheduled to go in on Thursday and am prepared to just pay it and get it over with. My dad however said I should get the list of things needed to be completed and do it ourselves since he is good with working on cars routine maintenance.

Am I crazy for just paying it? I just feel like the convenience of getting it done and not worrying about finding a good independent shop or ordering parts and doing ourselves is worth a little premium... but if it’s astronomical please do tell.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
133 Posts
75K only includes the Transfer case and Diff fluids above the normal “15K” service. Both of those fluid changes are pretty simple and the oil change is simple as well. I’d guesstimate for the DIY’er you’d spend the following on parts:

• $100 for Penzoil Ultra Platinum Oil and a O.E. quality filter.
  • $140 for Front/Rear Diff Fluids and replacement fill/drain-plugs
  • $100 for Transfer case fluid and replacement fill/drain-plugs.

So the DIY route would cost $340 in parts and save you $460 in labor. I guess it boils down to what your time is worth. Atlantic British will have pre-made kits for the T-case and Diffs... to save you from having to track down all the parts. Oil change stuff can be had locally.
The benefit if paying the dealer, is they may be better “inspecting” everything else and pointing out any areas of concerns. They will also scan the computers and perform any software updates etc. So what is that worth?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Went with the convenience route and dropped it off this morning. Dealer took $100 off which is awesome of them. Pick it up tomorrow. Hope someone else finds the cost breakdown useful in future searches. Thanks again for your reply BillConn.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thank you! Went with the convenience route and dropped it off this morning. Dealer took $100 off which is awesome of them.
There you go then. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.
I've always preferred and enjoyed doing as much services myself as possible - actually all service; also out of necessity; but as I get older, I do feel comfortable having the dealership do some things, and that list grows with time.
And JLR does make it easier to come to terms with.
I also enjoy waiting in their customer area, having a fancy coffee, maybe a couple of cookies or ice cream.

Another benefit is that the service is recorded in the JLR database. If you ever sell it, having dealer service records has been known to add value and support a higher sales price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts