RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is my first post to the RR forum but I'm hoping RRPhil or anyone else equally knowledgeable on automatic transmissions may be able to offer me some advice.

I have a 2007 L322 TDV8 Range Rover with 70,000 miles on the clock - I have owned it for 3 years. It generally leads a pampered life. I have a BlackBox Faultmate Extreme scanner so can view Fault Codes and TCM inputs etc.

Symptoms
In 'Drive' the gear is erratic to engage and can sometimes bang in. Gear changes are not smooth. At lights if I hold in neutral with the parking brake on, apply foot brake, engage drive, apply throttle gently, engine revs increase and NOTHING, no engagement, no movement. Sometimes it can decide to engage 10 seconds later. There is no guarantee that it will. Let the revs down and shift into Sport mode and it immediately engages and smoothly moves up the gears - Use CommandShift mode and gears 1 to 6 move up and down smoothly and immediately. Engaging Reverse can cause a judder though - but it works.

So at the moment I drive mostly in Sport / CommandShift modes.

There are no Fault Codes shown on the system and nothing appears on the scanner from TCM inputs which is obvious to me (not difficult).

Reading previous posts and looking at the Workshop Manual it sounds like a Mechatronic problem. Are there any scanner routines I can run to help identify and isolate the problem?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

·
Banned
901 Posts
if your holding your replies to RRPhil or anyone equally knowledgeable on automatic transmissions, you are going to limit the number of responses.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,288 Posts
As a firm believer in trying the simplest things first, if you haven’t already done so I would certainly check that the cable clamp isn’t seized in the selector lever on the RH side of the transmission.

Phil

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you RRPhil.

The quadrant and the locking nut are badly corroded with no sign of any oil or grease ever having been applied. I did not risk breaking the cable attachment bolt by releasing the lock nut but soaked the area with light machine oil and gave it a liberal coating of grease as you recommended and encouraged it to free up by 'stoking' the lever. I will order up a new quadrant and fit at the first opportunity (page 1887 in the workshop manual).

I gave it a short test drive and in 'Drive' the transmission worked faultlessly and when stationary it 'clicked' into gears D, N & R and back again immediately.

I think you may have fixed it but a long drive on Thursday should prove it.

Very may thanks

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts