RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am coming up on my 60k service. I called three dealerships within 15 miles of my home and asked what the cost would be (see below). Why such a big price difference for a standard 60 thousand mile service?

Dealership One: $1,100
Dealership Two: $695
Dealership Three: $1,300

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I vote for dealership # 2. :wink:

I think I paid about $600 for mine (it's been a long time and I would need to double check), and that was from an independent LR shop here in SoCal. Dealers wanted about $1000-1100. You may have found a honest dealer - unless they low-balled you to get you with extras once they have the car there, such as brakes and the like... - but depending on where you live you may also want to check with a reputable LR indy shop, if you have one nearby. If they are equipped with IDS they can perform your 60K service and probably save you a bundle, it's not written in stone that an authorized dealer should do it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What will they need the IDS for besides reseting the oil change indicator?

My cousin went to the land rover university while working for a land rover dealer before he opened his own shop. Now that he has his own shop, he told me he can take care of everything except anything to do with the IDS... I also asked one of the dealers how much it would be to just reset the oil change indicator (dealer one) and have my cousin take care of everything. I was told they will only do that when/if they do the oil change. I feel like I have no choice but to take it to a dealer...

Do you know of any independent shops in Chicago's west suburbs? I can't seem to find anything...

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
at my 15K i watched the tech reset the oil change indicator, it was like 5 pushs of the trip button and 3 key turns and it was reset.. I'll ask him how to do it when I'm there nextweek, having the rear brake pads replaced again , the TSB didn't work rear brakes are squeaking again at low speeds and stop and go traffic.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
b_arra said:
What will they need the IDS for besides reseting the oil change indicator?
Not much else for a regular service / tuneup (on MY08s and later you can actually reset the service interval indicator on your own, no need for a mechanic), but of course they would need IDS to identify and clear fault messages stored within your various electronic modules, to download updates or patches that fix issues you may experience, from a sluggish tranny to a malfunctioning stereo, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I can't comment on LR, but I know I've had experiences with other dealerships that offer these 60k, etc services. Some of them actually contain different procedures/part replacements than the manufacturer recommends - they claimed it was "regional". May want to check on that also.

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
101 Posts
here is a post I did on my 60k service back in Jan 2013. I hope this is helpful

[h=2]
60,000 Factory Service, Aftermarket warranty, 2013 year in review[/h]
Hi Everyone,

I just had my 60k factory service done at the dealer and wanted to give everyone an update.
I have a 2010 RRS HSE LUX with 58k miles
I did buy the Continental Ultracare warranty that was offered before they switched to the Land Rover Branded warranty. I paid
$3990 for an additonal 4years/up to 100k miles.

Cost of the 60k service done at the dealership $519.61 which includes tax and the 10% off service coupon I used.

I was also given a service loaner at no cost for 3 days. Dropped the car on Saturday picked up on Monday.
The cost for the 60k service has been in line with what I paid for the 45k and 30k service.
The service turned up no additional issues with the truck.
Is this price in line with what people pay at an indy shop? Just curious as their is a good indy shop near me but the dealership has been very fair to me regarding warranty issues.

Now I just wanted to go over some issues I had with the truck from time of the 45k service to this 60k service.

1. 1/25/13 45k service see my previous post
2. 5/14/13 @48k
All side marker lights front and rear and one lic plate bulb was out. All replaced under warranty
The service tech also noticed that I had marginal brake lining remaining (recommended replacement in near future)
3. 7/31/13 truck started shuttering and burning smell @ 49K. Emergency brake shoes locking up. Rear right e-brake shoes locking up, replaced rotor fixed, left side e-brake was adjusted covered under warranty.
4. Service advisor said they should also replace rear pads and rotors while they are working on ebrake issue. it would be cheaper since the truck is on lift already. I agreed and the cost was $ 512.86 including tax for rear pads and rotors.
5. 9/5/13- bolt in left front tire patched for free under tire/wheel warranty.
6. 10/16/13- Fuel guage drops to "e" randomly when tank is full. This happened before at 20k miles and they replaced the fuel sender unit under warranty. Now at 54k it has happened again and now they have a software update to fix it. The aftermarket warranty doesnt cover softward updates but since I had a previous history the dealership covered it.
7. Driverside mirror was snapping when folding in. This happened at 16k and they replaced mirror under warranty. Since I had prior history they also covered this under warranty.

Inconclusion the year wasnt bad. My out of pocket costs was just the rear brakes which was the 1st time they needed to be replaced and I spent $79 for balance and alignment where I bought my tires and then the yearly service. My continental aftermarket warranty hasnt come into play yet so I wont be able to comment on it.

I feel the dealership has pretty fair prices and has treated me pretty well regarding warranty issues. Plus they give free loaners. Do indy shops charge similiar prices? I plan to stick with the dealership until the end of my aftermarket warranty.

thanks​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts