RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It's time for the first oil change on my '04 HSE since I purchased it. My truck has a bit of the vanos-ticking at idle, and I'm hoping to quiet/get rid of it by swapping in a good synthentic oil.

Given that I have the vanos ticking, would you recommend 5W30 or 10W30? Not sure if it matters for the answer, but I'm planning on going with Royal Purple oil.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I've known BMW independents suggest 15w40 for the M60 V8. I'd personally go for a heavier semi synthetic or synthetic like the 10w40.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been having good luck with Mobil 1 0W-40; same synthetic as BMW formula.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the input!

After researching and looking at the recommendations I'm leaning towards 10W40. Regarding oil brand, most seem to consider Royal Purple or Redline to be a step up\.

What do people think of this deal on a 5 gallon pail of Royal Purple synthetic oil?
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-0514 ... 390&sr=8-8

$146 for 5 gallons of high quality synthetic oil seems like a pretty good deal...

This is on sale for $125.00 I just got myself some :dance:

·
Registered
30 Posts
How many quarts / gallons are needed for the 4.4L BMW engine? I just had an oil change using Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil on mine over a month ago. But to tell you the truth, it REALLY feels like the car has gotten heavier and not as nimble as it was before the oil change. It drives fine, but it just feels like it requires much more acceleration to go at my desired speed; whereas it only took very light acceleration to keep it going before the oil change. I live in the outskirts of the city and it's a relatively hilly area compared to the totally flat city of Columbus, so it requires a sudden burst of power from time to time(hehehe.... the fun part of driving a Range) on my daily commute. I do not know what the viscosity level for the oil was... perhaps therein lies my problem. Any ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im pretty sure it's 8 qts + 1 qt if you're changing your filter.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
HokieFratRover said:
Im pretty sure it's 8 qts + 1 qt if you're changing your filter.
Oooh - That might be a bit much by maybe a quart. Check the manual. I think mine took about 7 qts. At least that's where I start & if it's low on the stick I add more.

As far as the VANOS, and since it's your first change since you've bought it, you might want to add some Sea Foam engine treatment or transmission fluid to the oil to clean the passages a bit before changing the oil.
As far as the weight, wouldn't you want to consider the (seasonal) temperature where you're at? It doesn't really make much difference, but that's generally the consideration when deciding. But the heavier the oil, the harder your motor has to work to pump it. Or the less power it puts out because of the internal work required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts