RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned my '04 RR for over a year and have enjoyed every second of it. I bought it from a LR salesperson who kept meticulous care of it and it had the remainder of an LR warranty. In the last year I added the 20" Westminster wheels, new tires, had the 60K service done, new brakes and just took it in for warranty work where they replaced the valve covers, new CV axle, coolant reservoir and some breather hoses. The tech went over the truck with a fine tooth comb and gave it a clean bill of health. The truck has 66K on the ticker and is going out of warranty very soon. The dealer is pushing a $5k warranty for 5 years and it covers the air suspension. is this worth it? Other than catastrophic failures, would $1000 per year be a reasonable amount of service per year? Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
It depends...

A simple way of looking at it is:

Do you have any mechanical ability and are willing to do some of your own work? Then it's not worth it IMHO
If you are not mechanically inclined and will let the dealer or other indie work on it, then it probably is worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is definitely NOT worth it! It's simply a rip-off to charge an additional 20 to 25% of the car's value for an extended warranty. Unless there are some really obvious red flags in the car's history, in which case you shouldn't buy it, $5K for a warranty on that car is excessive to say the least. Unless you like throwing away money.... :naughty:

·
Registered
122 Posts
It depends on what it doesn't cover and how many miles it's good for. if it is a 5 yr 60,000 ish miles and it is a good exclusionary warranty where nearly everything is cover except some wear and tear items, it sounds like a pretty good deal. I have an 05 and had the follow replace between 50-100,000 miles: expansion tank, instrument cluster, fuel pump, sending units(done at separate time form the pump replacement) ecu fan, head light assembly(1300... crazy), head gasket, water pump, alternator, passenger side power seat motor, 700 worth of suspension work(forgot what it was exactly for, but it wasn't the eas), radiator, and some other things I can't recall at the moment. all done with the extended warranty, I have gotten a over double what I paid for the warranty, not to mention free rentals. my vehicle was in pretty good shape when I got it, higher miles than most at the year, but I drive over 20,000 a year so spending a few more grand for 12,000 less miles didn't make alot of sense. I just used that money to buy the extended warranty. you may be able to find some a little cheaper, but unless you are a good mechanic or know one with the right equipment, I would recommend getting a warranty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It covers everything, including EAS, wear and tear items excluded of course, and it is for an additional 5 year or 60K miles. Right now I am putting about 7.5K miles a year. There are no red flags with the car and it has had all of the typical issues resolved for an '04. I plan on keeping the RR for the next 3 to 4 years--I am not mechanically inclined and my indie guy said to jump on it--that it was roughly $1K a year for potential issues. The local LR dealer is only a mile away from my house and I get a loaner with them, they are the ones pushing this warranty. I appreciate all of your insight. It is through Continental Warranty and the LR dealer said that most LR dealers on the East Coast are signing up this company.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I believe air struts can be considered wear items, quite easily! I do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find this thread right on point to where I am right now with my decision point on whether to keep or sell my RR. I purchased an 03 w/ 49,000 miles on it in July 07. I bought a good, 4 year, 100,000 mile exclusionary warranty through Warranties4Wheels that is the IAP plan administered by Royal for $4,200. I'm now at 79,000 miles on my RR with 11 months left on the warranty. In my 3 years of ownership, my warranty has paid for about $9,500 in repairs with the biggest bill coming in the last few weeks - a remanned transmission & torque converter, fan clutch, and thermostat to the tune of about $5,000.

I have started researching extended warranties to buy before my current warranty runs out. I'd like to keep my RR for another 3 - 4 years if possible, but I feel doing so without an extended warranty is a liability I'd rather not have.

I first called back Warranties4Wheels and got a too good to be true quote on a 3 year (from the time my current warranty expires), unlimited mile exclusionary policy for about $2,500. It appears now though that instead of brokering unrelated warranty company contracts, W4W has now set up shop as their own warranty company: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33719&p=260593&hilit=Genuine+Warranty#p260593 Y'all can make up your own mind, but I'm not touching any of that with a 10 foot pole.

So I next called AA Auto Protection which advertised the IAP plans by Royal. They said Royal would not do the IAP exclusionary plan on a Range Rover of the age/mileage of mine. He did quote me a listed component plan for 5 years, 150,000 additional miles for $1,900, but even admitted that it was basically just a powertrain warranty with a few extras thrown on. And when I reviewed the contract, it had minimal coverage and even had caps that it would pay for each component group.

I'm willing to pay more than the $1,900 for better coverage. My ideal warranty adds 3 to 4 years at 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year because that is all I drive. If I can get an exclusionary plan, that would be preferred.

I echo AtlantaBob's question for y'all to share what companies you are using.

Thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
my opinion - if you have a new tranny, new cooling system and the front air struts replaced and the motor is not seeping oil or water - then i think 5K for 5 year is a little out there for non wear items.

Brakes won't be covered and most of the other issues you can fix yourself for cheap - as long as the engine does not overheat and melt down. That may not be a bad thing - throw in a reman with supercharger for 6k and you should be good for another 100K...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
jhepworth said:
my opinion - if you have a new tranny, new cooling system and the front air struts replaced and the motor is not seeping oil or water - then i think 5K for 5 year is a little out there for non wear items.

Brakes won't be covered and most of the other issues you can fix yourself for cheap - as long as the engine does not overheat and melt down. That may not be a bad thing - throw in a reman with supercharger for 6k and you should be good for another 100K...
Where do you get a manufactured engine with a supercharger for $6k?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The LR dealers in the greater DC area and apparently the East Coast are now using a company called Continental. I just had a completely unpleasant conversation with a gentleman from Warranty4Wheels, I will not go into details, but all I can say is that if their level of service is on par with their lack of professional courtesy toward prospective clients, I would not recommend them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Continental warranty for my '06, 10yr 150k for $4,000. It covers everything but a few wear and tear items, includes tow, roadside assistance and rental identical to the factory. It is totally worth it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I too am looking at extended warranty and boy what a minefield W4W's, Continental etc etc so many negative reports, the supplied documentation from these companies make them sound like they are to good to be true.....

Tough to find an honest company out there it seems ........ lots of research to be done....

·
Registered
122 Posts
10 years 150k for 4 k seems almost unbeleiveable. Have you made any claims with this company? I had a company called prism, backed by london.... somebody (don't have the paper work anymore.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have, 3 small claims in 5 months. Nothing serious, but everything was covered no questions asked. My dealer handles everything so that is probably the main reason it is seamless.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
barsa said:
I have, 3 small claims in 5 months. Nothing serious, but everything was covered no questions asked. My dealer handles everything so that is probably the main reason it is seamless.
$4k for 10 years / 150k miles is very suspicious unless there are some major exceptions in there. I suspect you'll have a rough time if anything major ever needs fixed. There is no way they could make money on a policy like that.... I mean, I assume you still have to pay for all the "scheduled" maintenance... but still... its not crazy to think you may need radiator, alternator, fuel pump, bushings, various air suspension stuff, in addition to the usual electrical gremlins over the course of 10 years... that is already well over $4000 even at an independent shop and you haven't accounted for the possibility of transmission/engine issues.

Is there a large deductible maybe?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Weil, being neetshift last neet I decided to Google for some info and prices of warranties.
As above it is a complicated minefield.
The RAC seemed the best with the cost under £200 Sterling however, my mileage is too high.
Phone call needed.

Anyways, had a reply from one of my quotes from middle of the neet who accepted my miles and also offered to delay the warrenty untill when my cheap and nasty dealer warrenty ends in 10 weeks time.
AND should anything go wrong that their cover disnae cover then they would step in and cover me.

ALL SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

Time to read the small print I guess.

Oh, the cost?
Almost forgot....................... he quoted £845 Sterling for 12/15months cover parts n labour.
Noo, me being me I asked aboot a discount as I travel Europe raising funds and awareness for Cancer charities and he gave me a £245 discount.

So, £600 for parts and labour up to the value of the car for 12 months'sh.

sounds good to me.
After I make a cuppa I will read and get back to you.

£600?
I think its got to be done.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thought I would update everyone on my progress.

Tried to price a warranty through National and Carchex as these both had some decent reviews (though it seems that all of them have negative reviews); however, neither of these companies would cover a Land Rover (smart on their part).

I contacted Hal with Auto Advantage, who is recommended by this site (http://www.rangerovers.net/rrwarranties ... oadvantage), and received a prompt e-mail back. As a reminder, I have an 03 with 79,000 miles on the clock. He offered me 4 different levels of coverage - one was a powertrain plus, then two more robust listed component warranties, and finally an exclusionary policy. The powertrain plus one is 5yrs/150,000 additional miles for $1,535 with a $100 deductible. The full exclusionary one is 3yrs/36,000 additional miles for $6,260 with a $200 deductible. The other two are in between those prices. Honestly, that price for an exclusionary one seems about right for the Rover. However, at that price, it makes me really think about either totally self-insuring or maybe partially self-insuring by picking up just the powertrain plus coverage.

Here is what it covers for 5yrs / 150,000 additional miles:
“WHAT IS COVERED"
***Primary Care Elite Coverage***
Engine and Water Pump: The following parts are covered: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings, camshaft and camshaft bearings, timing chain and timing gears, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, hydraulic lifters, rocker arm shafts and water pump, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Turbocharger/Supercharger (factory installed only): housing and all internal parts, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Transmission/Transaxle: all internally lubricated parts of manual or automatic transmissions, including oil pump, drums, planetary, sun gear and shell, shafts, bearings, side gears, carrier, pinion gear, ring gear, shift rails, forks, and synchronizers, and torque converter. Transmission/transaxle case if damaged by internally lubricated covered part, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Transfer Case: all internally lubricated parts of the 4x4 transfer case. Transfer case if damaged by internally lubricated part, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Differential: all internally lubricated parts, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Air Conditioning Coverage: all internally lubricated parts contained within the compressor, seals & gaskets only when required in connection with the replacement of a covered part.

Electrical: alternator, voltage regulator, power window motor(s), heater fan/motor, starter motor.

Fuel System: fuel delivery (mechanical) pump, fuel (gas & diesel) injection pump, metal fuel delivery lines, fuel tank.
I'm not mechanically inclined enough to appreciate the significance that some of the components have coverage only for "internally lubricated parts." Anyone care to expound on that? I'm fearing that is another way of saying that "we're going to find a way to get out of paying for this part if it fails."

So, what of picking up a lower cost powertrain plus warranty for a nice period of time and self-insuring the rest? Does the above coverage lessen the likelihood of some of the $5,000 repairs to the engine, driveline, or transmission that seem to loom with our Rovers? Or are there still huge gaps in coverage where many $5,000 mines still await?

Thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
They can pretty much make up anything they want. It basically comes down to whether they are a reputable company or not. Personally, I do not trust W4W or AutoAdvantage, both seemed very evasive when I asked them questions, and when I asked for clarifications in writing. They also never stopped contacting me for about 4 months, and their tone was increasingly aggressive the more I rebuffed their attempts at sales. In the end AutoAdvantage especially was essentially threatening me that if I did not sign up for their warranty I would end up poor and destitute with a junk vehicle. That is not how a reputable company operates IMO. I just can't trust any of them. Even manufacturer warranties can be unreliable sometimes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
barsa said:
$4k for 10 years / 150k miles is very suspicious unless there are some major exceptions in there. I suspect you'll have a rough time if anything major ever needs fixed. There is no way they could make money on a policy like that.... I mean, I assume you still have to pay for all the "scheduled" maintenance... but still... its not crazy to think you may need radiator, alternator, fuel pump, bushings, various air suspension stuff, in addition to the usual electrical gremlins over the course of 10 years... that is already well over $4000 even at an independent shop and you haven't accounted for the possibility of transmission/engine issues.

Is there a large deductible maybe?
No deductible, and it is very inclusive coverage. My dealer uses them as their new CPO now that LR no longer honors them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts