RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the fill procedure for the transmission fluid very closely.
Currently I have a whining noise that comes from the transmission when under a specific RPM and load during acceleration.
All of my research so far says that either the fuild level is low or the filter is of unacceptable quality.
I will check the fluid tomorrow morning when cold to see if I can squeeze another 300 ml or so in the pan.

The filter I recieved from http://www.bavauto.com was a generic comapny "Mann". The BMW forums state that the filter must be manufactured by Filtran. The Filtran filter has mode internal support to the filter. If the filter is not made by Filtran, then when the filter is under high pressure, it will colapse and fluid supply will drop. Does this sound plausible?

I wish I could find these things out before hand. :crybaby2:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
You definitely had the engine running when you topped up the fluid? If so, I would agree that the filter is the most likely culprit.

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the step that I was not clear on and skipped. I did not have the engine running. I will do that this morning.
After more reading, I realised that the procedure was a bit more complex than I originally realized;

Using a pump or a funnel and tube, fill the transmission to overflow with the engine off. It will take about four liters. Start the engine and the overflow will stop. Run the trans through the gears with the brake on. With the engine still running, put another liter in. After 1-2 min. turn the engine off. The tranny pan should still be cold and it will now dribble about a liter of dirty oil mix out the fill plug. After 15 min fill to overflow with the engine off. Start the engine and run through the gears. Continue to fill until overflow, about another two liters. Keep the engine running for 10 minutes during this process and run through the gears a few times. When it starts overflowing, crawl under the car with the engine running (scary) and while avoiding the hot exhaust pipe, screw in the fill plug and torque it to 35 NM. Turn off the engine. Lower the car and test drive.
Also, I recall that the "Mann" filter kit that I purchased did have the metal ridges that are susposed to prevent the filter housing from colapsing. So at this point I think the fluid level is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Fingers crossed :pray:

Please let us know. I'm about due to change my trans fluid too.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key peice of the transmission refill that I did not follow, was to perform the last fill with the engine running. In my ignorance, I just through that the transmission had to be warm. Before I started the final fill, I put my ear to the running transmission. I could hear the pump gurgling and slurping. I belive that this was one of those dead giveaways that I was low on fluid.

When I went back under the car and did the final fill with the engine running, the transmission took another 1300 ml of fluid. Wow, no wonder I was loosing pressure under acceleration. That puts the total fluid usd for the transmission filter and fluid chage at 5.5 liters.

After the test drive, everything was fine. No whining under moderate to heavy acceleration.

Just a recap, I used ESSO LT 71141 and Transmission filter kit 24 11 1 673 KIT
From
http://www.bavauto.com

·
Registered
641 Posts
good that its working properly now. it feels funny filling something while its running doesn't it. sort of feels wrong compared to when your servicing engines and things :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts