RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing the filter and fluid on hy transmission. The vehicle has 80,000 miles and this is certainly the first fluid change. I was thinking that I was doing some good and everything would go smoothly. But I have uncovered some very disturbing problems. The pan was coated with a sludge and the magnets were covered in about 4 mm of some sort of metalic sludge. I opened up the filter and upon further inspection there are considerable spots of metal shavings.

Anyone who has experience with this sort of thing know how close I am to failure?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
that's what my p38 looked like, it's still going strong, and the fluid looks clean. Change it again in 5k and see how it looks.

80k is a LONG time on fluid, I'm not surprised, and believe you'll be OK (don't take that to the bank though...)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The L322 5hp24 transmission was designated as a lifetime fill transmission. As a result, most if not all owners never felt the need to change the transmission fluid. My vehicle was purchased at 78,000 miles and had never had the transmission serviced. I wouls suspect that this is not an unusual story for most second hand L322 Range Rovers.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
The magnets usually look like that. Regarding the metallic debris in the filter - which looks more serious - can you check with a magnet whether it's steel or aluminium?

It's when you get debris like in the photo below that you need to worry.

Phil

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of the metal shavings in the filter are magnetic. So I guess that means that the metal shavings are aluminum. Is that generally good or bad?
When I think aluminum, I think about the pump housing most of all. Are there any other mission critical systems that are made from aluminum.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
No, it’s not the pump. Both rotors run in a cast iron housing (magnetic) and are separated from the (aluminium) intermediate casing with a steel plate.

The C, D, E & F clutch housings are aluminium, as are the D & E clutch hubs and all the clutch pistons except the F clutch, but none of the running gear runs against anything but steel.

The hydraulic valve block is all aluminium and the spools are anodised aluminium too (to avoid differential expansion affecting the tight clearances).

To be honest, if you can get rid of the noise (presumably oil level or filter) then I don’t think you’ve seen sufficient to warrant tearing down the transmission. Easy for me to say, I know, but if it’s performing okay I would try to forget about it and continue enjoying your Range Rover.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Mine was changed last week,sludge is normal,i was told.GM transmission.
There was sludge as shown on my magnet too.
There were no metal debris at 90k km.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just occured to me that I have no idea how long those metal shavings have been in that filter. As there have not been any previous fluid or filter changes during the life of the vehicle, those metal shavings could have been early wear in. Although maybe such a thing should not happen with transmissions.

I have also seen several pictures of the drum housings in the 5hp24 that are well worn and some even with broken teeth. Maybe this is what we are seeing. The drums seem to be a fragile or high failure component on the 5hp24.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
I guess you’re referring to the A clutch drum (it's the only one that had problems). All the 5HP24s were fitted with the stiffened drum (1058 270 036) from transmission serial number 355863 in November 2000 (you can see the radial swages on the front face in the photo below) so all our Range Rovers have the latest drum.

Phil

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil,
Thank you very much for the feedback you seem to be very knowledgable in such matters. I would not be suprised at this point to learn that you run a repair shop of some kind.

I also spoke with a transmission rebuilder that recently showed me how to rebuild a 4hp24. His opinion is also that no rebuild should be necessary now or in the near future. The metalic material on the magnetics is more than likely just clutch material and is of a normal ammount for 80,000 miles. The metal in the filter is also normal and nothing compared to the ammount in an actual failed or failing unit. If the unit is shifting well, which it is, then nothing negative should be interpreted from the sump or filter contents at this time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not to throw any water on your optimism, but my experience is that these transmissions give little warning when they are "going bad". One minute you are driving along, and the next minute you get a "Trans FAILSAFE Warning" and stuck in 4th gear. At that point there are a couple of known issues, including time to replace the trans.

I replaced mine at 86k miles with a remanufactured unit when all the other troubleshooting options were tried with no success.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts