RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Well, that type of advertised mileage is obtained by a 2-wheel drive, 150hp diesel model with manual tranny that we will likely never see sold here in North America, although I suspect it will be quite popular over in Europe where gas costs a fortune. Still, the AWD petrol version we will get in the US weighs a ton or so less than any other model Range Rover out there, and will be driven by a relatively small (by our North American standards) 2-liter, 4-cylinder turbo engine, so it will surely get great mileage and low emissions even in its "compact utility vehicle" class. All the heavy-duty hardware that makes our vehicles such capable off-roaders will be gone as well, but the Evoque is clearly targeting a whole new type of customer - for Land Rover, anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Is it replacing the new Freelander/LR2?

Why would they build 2 vehicles that would compete with eachother?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Is it replacing the new Freelander/LR2?
Why would they build 2 vehicles that would compete with eachother?
Freel/LR2 will continue as the Land Rover model (think of it as a Discovery) and the Evoque will be the premium luxury version with a nicer interior and lots of toys.
Think RR Classic and Disco 1. Or Disco 3/4 and RRS.
Or a Ford Exporer / Mercury Mountainer / Lincoln Aviator. I'm sure there are GM and Chrysler equivalents...

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Yeah we understand that. But the general public in the US is about clueless when it comes to LR's. So I could see this becoming a issue for LR, people see the green oval and thats all they care about, if the FL2 is cheaper they will buy it over whatever this new thing is even if its not the same ride.

If they truely make it a luxury interior (think MKIII or 2nd generation Sport) than it will do alright. If its not anybetter than the FL2 I see it being a flop.

But who knows what til they hit the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Yeah we understand that. But the general public in the US is about clueless when it comes to LR's. So I could see this becoming a issue for LR, people see the green oval and thats all they care about, if the FL2 is cheaper they will buy it over whatever this new thing is even if its not the same ride.
Really?
If that were the case then the FL2 would outsell all the other Rovers.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
Doctor Leo said:

If they truely make it a luxury interior (think MKIII or 2nd generation Sport) than it will do alright. If its not anybetter than the FL2 I see it being a flop.

But who knows what til they hit the floor.
I'm fairly certain that most people actually test drive the thing before they buy one, and most people don't tend to buy a Land Rover blindly based on price. I actually think the Evoque will do very well vs. the FL2 - more stylish (subjective, for sure), more efficient, and (hopefully) more luxurious.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
960 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Are people here really walking into Land Rover dealers and saying "What's the cheapest thing you have?"?

I think the bigger problem is the general public knowing how bad Land Rovers have been in the past and sometimes currently and maybe not wanting this new vehicle the first year. But I think Land Rover will still probably sell a bunch of them.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
146 Posts
the reason they(Tata) went with the Range Rover name is in fact because 90% of people have not a clue what a Landrover is or what a Rangerover is, although Rangerover they are more familiar with :? . I hear the mix up all the time.." nice Rangerover man" when it is really a LR4 or "how many different trucks does Rangerover make"? I just stopped explaining. Landrover has done a masterful job of confusing the public about it's product line and I think it is because of constant ownership change. Tata is continuing the tradition!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
roveurboat said:
the reason they(Tata) went with the Range Rover name is in fact because 90% of people have not a clue what a Landrover is or what a Rangerover is, although Rangerover they are more familiar with :? . I hear the mix up all the time.." nice Rangerover man" when it is really a LR4 or "how many different trucks does Rangerover make"? I just stopped explaining. Landrover has done a masterful job of confusing the public about it's product line and I think it is because of constant ownership change. Tata is continuing the tradition!
That would be a North America specific confusion.

LR pulled out of the US in '74 and Canada in '79.
When they came back in '88 it was with one product, the Range Rover, sold by a company called Range Rover of North America.
The company became Land Rover North America in '93 when they started bringing Defenders in with Discos following in '94.
Public recognition is not really a problem over in Europe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts