RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love the look of the L494, I have for quite some time. My current vehicle is ready to be replaced, and I've got a budget of around $50k for a used Range Rover Sport. I did some pretty thorough searching for older threads with recommendations before posting this, and didn't really find any exact matches.

What year would you guys opt for (2014 has the most stock in my price range, 2015 has some, 2016 has barely anything, 2017/2018 there is NOTHING).... are there really any major differences that should cause me to absolutely find a 2016 over a 2015 or a 2015 over a 2014? So far miles and price and features have been more important.

Based on other threads I know I want the HSE, know I want an upgraded sound system, and definitely want 20+ inch wheels (stock w/ HSE) but preferably 21" (I live in the Northeast, so 22" is probably not great for winter driving and potholes.

Any other options you'd all recommend? How have your cars performed over the years - have they been total money pits due to required maintenance?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide - I've been obsessive with my searching over the past few weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi to me the main difference for the 14/15 vs 16 is that 16 has auto access height. The car lower inself when u open the door. Good to have but u can manually adjust yourself in the 14/15
Secondly, the infotaintment screen in 14/15/16 is not as nice as the 17 as there is a upgrade of the system for 17. Reverse camera is also much better.
Other than these two difference, i think the rest are more of tech upgrades which u may or mah not need. If u need the tech, a volvo may have better options.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Depends on what’s important to you. If it’s power and speed I would opt for the V8 Dynamic. You should be able to get into a 14 at just about 50k. The dynamic also has a choice of some great interior colors with extended leather which really makes the difference for me.

If you like comfort and luxury more, maybe go for the climate package and soft door close.

If it’s cold where you live get the heated steering wheel and windshield for sure.

If you go off-road a lot, opt for the smaller wheels and the 2-speed transfer box for sure.

But no matter what you do, make sure you get at least the 825W stereo cause the basic version will make you regret the car.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
And one note about 21” wheels. Although I really love mine and I think they’re the best compromise for on-road / off-road, I would never do them again. It is nearly impossible to find good tires this size. You only get like 2 options. They are okay. But not great. Certainly won’t find any true off-road tires for 21”s. It’s something most people don’t thing about until it’s time to buy new tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you - so are you saying there are better 22" options... or suggestion only get 20"?

I do live where it is cold so I'm absolutely gunning for the front climate package and definitely getting the premium audio

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to me the main difference for the 14/15 vs 16 is that 16 has auto access height. The car lower inself when u open the door. Good to have but u can manually adjust yourself in the 14/15
Secondly, the infotaintment screen in 14/15/16 is not as nice as the 17 as there is a upgrade of the system for 17. Reverse camera is also much better.
Other than these two difference, i think the rest are more of tech upgrades which u may or mah not need. If u need the tech, a volvo may have better options.
I love the idea of good tech but to be quite honest as long as I can hook up my iPhone and just use siri or playlists to play songs... I'm fine. I've heard both the 14 and 15 infotainment have lag doing just about anything - but for the most part people have said they can live with it.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,148 Posts
16 has the auto access height and the hands free tailgate. At that price range I'd look at 14/15 V8s or 15/16 V6s. Depends on how many miles you are willing to accept too I guess.

The dealer here has a full size 2015 HSE with 69,000 miles for $55k and a 2015 Sport HSE with 24k miles for $56k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the best deal I've been able to find so far... 2014 HSE with 30k miles for $47k, every option under the sun including the all important premium audio, full duty, front climate & visbility, vision and convenience, 5+2 seating and more. So far I'm leaning towards the 3.0 liter vs the 5.0 liter for gas consumption purposes - I won't really be pushing the limits and driving fast / on sporty roads much unfortunately.

https://www.paulmillerlandrover.com/certified/Land+Rover/2014-Land+Rover-Range+Rover+Sport-da1c29770a0e0ae844812eb1c90ca7d1.htm

This one down in Alabama looks solid too.... 21" wheels, same options (no full duty), 23k miles, $48k, love the look of the larger wheels but appreciate the advice AGAINST the 21" wheels... I will need options for tires up here in snowy New England
https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/2014-range-rover-sport/6479291210.html

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Unless you have some serious offroading needs, don't worry about the New England winter.
The roads in our area are incredibly well maintained and whatever is available for the 21s will do just fine.
I always put snow tires on my cars and just go with what the dealer recommends - they are fine. Probably far from the best, but since the compound is appropriate for the temperatures, they're fine.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
49 Posts
Wrong on the lowering thing. The car lowers itself when parked and goes up when moving. Not sure if that's an added package though. Mine does it and I got it used '14 SC Dynamic.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
49 Posts
IS IT SO?! :(

I can manually lower it when parked - no doubt. Now, just last week when I started my car and moved a few feet and stopped to talk to a colleague at work he put his hands on the opened passenger window and said "wow it's moving up" and I don't remember lowering it when I parked it in the morning. Well I did not feel the car moving up but thought so when he mentioned it. And this was the second experience. Again both times I didn't feel it until someone told me. SO MAY BE I'm wrong.

Apologies, OP. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Maybe.
But you have just provided potentially valuable information. What you experienced those 2 occasions might have been the self-leveling thing when the vehicle tries to level/adjust itself on an uneven surface.

·
Registered
132 Posts
cargurus is great.. So keep checking.
One thing I learnt, dont compromise on must have features for a few grand less...

Some things you can live with like Screen, GPS, tyres stuff. By using a tablet and stuff.. Wheels can be bought.
but the built-in features like ACC was must for me.. ACC comes with forward alert and emergency breaking..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you guys know if there is any way to find out configured features if a private dealer doesn't know? They claim they don't have the original MSRP sticker (which I believe) but I'd still love to see the original MSRP for all included add-ons... some things (like Full Duty Pack etc) I wouldn't necessarily be able to ascertain from just photos. Vin in question right now is SALWR2WF9EA381428, I'm thinking I may need to just ask a range rover dealership.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you guys know if there is any way to find out configured features if a private dealer doesn't know? They claim they don't have the original MSRP sticker (which I believe) but I'd still love to see the original MSRP for all included add-ons... some things (like Full Duty Pack etc) I wouldn't necessarily be able to ascertain from just photos. Vin in question right now is SALWR2WF9EA381428, I'm thinking I may need to just ask a range rover dealership.
You can register at https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/user/loginForm for free and enter vin numbers. I tried to post the specs but system wouldn't let me upload anything?? Here is a copy/paste

Printed by Reg Eden at 14-Feb-2018 15:42:43.

TOPIx Vehicle Summary: SALWR2WF9EA381428

VIN:
Model:Model year:

Last Service Recorded:
Features
Drive
CAB styleSeriesEngineTransmissionTrim
Colour

Minor Features
1 SPEED TRANSFER CASE7 SEAT CONFIGURATION255/55 R20 A/T TYREAPPROACH LIGHTS
AUTO DIPPING MIRROR SYSTEMBASE LIGHTING PACKAGEBRAKE CALIPERS-NON PAINTEDCENTRAL DOOR LOCKINGCRUISE CONTROL

SALWR2WF9EA381428Range Rover Sport / L4942014
None recorded
LHD
4 DOOR ESTATE
3.0 V6 SC PETROL SERIES3.0L SC V6 Petrol
8-Speed Automatic AWDVENEER-SHADOW ZEBRANOLOIRE BLUE

DR SWPACK FINISH - BLACK
DRV PWR H-RST/FORE/AFT/HT/TILTENGINE POWER SOURCE - STANDARDFOOT PEDAL - STANDARD
FRONT FOG LAMPS
FRONT PARKING AID
GARAGE DOOR OPENER (NAS)HEADLAMP POWER WASH
HEATED SEATS - DRV/PASS
HSE SALES BADGE
IP FAC CNTRST-EBONY/IVORYKEYLESS ENTRY/START-PASSIVELAMINATED WNDSCRN
LO LINE AUDIO SYSTEM 400WMICHELIN TYRE VENDOR
NAVIGATION CENTRE-COLOR NASPARTIAL LEATHER - SEAT ARMRESTPAS PWR H-RST/FORE/AFT/HT/TILTREAR AXLE OPEN DIFF
REGULAR SIZE WASHER TANK
RR SEAT - 60/40 W/FOLD THRO
SIDE DR TRDPLT-RANGE ROVERSTARTER SYSTEM - STOP/STARTSUNVISOR,SINGLE-DRV MIR INSERTTAILGATE/BOOTLID-POWERED 1PCTHIRD ROW POWER FOLDING SEATTL3 PACKAGE
TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM

2-ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
20X8.5 STORMER SPARKLE SLVR(B)AMBIENT LIGHTING
AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRRORAUXILLARY BATTERY 14AH B19
BODY COLORED PAINTED ROOFCARPET-EBONY
COURTESY LIGHT-TRUNK
DR ARMREST-PREMIUM LEATHERDR/PAS ELEC FRT ST ADJ/MEMORYDRVRS SEAT ADJUSTABLE ARMRESTSFLOOR MATS-CARPET
FRESH AIR HEATER
FRONT HEAD REST - MANUAL
FRT/RR TGHND W/PRIV GLASS
H.D. RADIO AND SDARS
HEADLINING - MORZINE
HLDF TOUCHSCREENHTD/P-FOLD/MEM/APP.LIGHTS
IVORY HEADLINER
KIT TYRE REPAIR - HIGH LINELICENCE INDICATOR
LUMBAR SEAT-4 WAY ADJUST BOLSTNAS LITERATURE PACK
NON LOCKING LUG NUTS
PARTIAL TFT/LCD INSTR CLUSTERPERIMETER ANTI-THEFT
REAR VIEW CAMERA
ROOF-SLIDING PANORAMIC
S/BLT LCK RTRCT-STD BTS(DNU)SOLIHULL ASSEMBLY (UK)
STRG COL-ELECTR TILT/REACH ADJSUNVISOR,SINGLE-PASS MR INSERTTERRAIN RESPONSE
TIPTRONIC GEARSHIFT
TRAFFIC MESSAGE CHANNEL-TMCULEV 2 EMISSION

USA
LESS ACTIVE ROLL CONTROL
LESS AUTOMATED PARKING SYSTEMLESS COLLISION MITIGATION SYSLESS ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
LESS FIRST AID KIT
LESS HEAD UP DISPLAY
LESS HEATED STEERING WHEELSLESS LANE CONTROL
LESS PARK HEATING
LESS REAR ENTERTAINMENT SCREENLESS SECONDARY SECURITY SYSTEMLESS SOS/ASSISTANCE CALL
LESS STEERING COLUMN LOCK
LESS TELEMATICS/MULTI MEDIA
LESS TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITIONLESS WATER WADING AID

XENON HEADLAMPS
LESS ADAPTIVE DAMPING(PASSIVE)LESS BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSLESS COOLER BOX/FRIDGE
LESS EXTR MIR-ELCTR CHROMATICLESS FRONT SEAT SQUAB ARTICULALESS HEATED FRONT WINDSCREENLESS INCONTROL APPS
LESS LOADSPACE STOWAGE RAILSLESS PROXIMITY MIRRORS
LESS REAR SEAT REMOTE DEVICESLESS SMOKERS PACK
LESS SPARE WHEEL
LESS STOLEN VEHICLE TRACKERLESS TOWING EQUIPMENT
LESS TV RECEIVER
LESS WIFI CONNECTIVITY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you - that is definitely a PRO tip. Will save me so much time waiting for slow dealers to get back to me (and many non LR dealers are claiming they no idea what specs are included)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts