RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500 Mile Review (Production Time, Dealer Review, Comparison with BMW X5)

I’ve found this site to have been very helpful, so it’s time to provide some information rather than just take from others. So, here’s my quick review on the order process, the dealer, and first 500 miles on my 2014.5 RRS HSE. Vehicle comments are from the perspective of city/highway driving, not off-road adventures (unless of course you count Chicago’s pot-holes!)

My RRS:
-2014.5 HSE
-Luxor Exterior w/20” Wheels, Interior: Ebony/Lunar w Ebony/Oxford Perforated Seats, Grand Veneer Finisher & Morzine Headliner
-Vision & Convenience Pkg, Extra Duty Package, Front Climate comfort & Visibility Package, Meridian Premium Audio w SAT/HD Radio

-Dealer painted lower side sills and front/rear bumpers in body color as is an option on the ATBs
-Dealer installed K40 radar & front laser

I’m happy with the HSE, and options selected. IF I could do it all over again, the one change I’d make is to get the 21” wheels instead of the 20".

Production Time
--Ordered from Dealer on March 4, 2014. Chicago Dealer took delivery on May 30th, 2014.

Dealer
—There have been a number of posts about poor service with dealers. So far, my experience has been the opposite. I was very pleased with Howard Orloff/Land Rover Chicago. Sales Person was Matt Bonkovich - good guy. They kept me informed during the process and the car was delivered weeks before it was originally promised. They custom paint the lower body, installed a built in radar detector before I took delivery. They were responsive to all questions etc during the process. Car was in perfect condition, no issues when I drove out of dealer. It’s early, but I would rate them superior to the Mercedes dealer and BMW dealers I’ve dealt with on other vehicles.

2014 RRS HSE versus BMW X5 (I’ve been driving a 2008 BMW 4.8 X5 for almost 7 years, and have a fair amount of drive time on 2013 and 2014 BMW X5s as well). Here are a few comparisons:
Advantages of 2014 RRS:
----Interior room and comfort
----Quality of interior finishes
----Driver rides several inches higher in RRS
----Overall vehicle styling
----AC system cools RRS faster
Advantages of BMW X5:
----Suspension less leaning on turns
----BMW Gearbox transitions in first 3 gears is smoother than RRS

Final thought: It has plenty of power, but I wish the V6 HSE had the dynamic package that comes with the V8

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Re: 500 Mile Review (Production Time, Dealer Review, Comparison with BMW X5)

Advantages of BMW X5:

Final thought: It has plenty of power, but I wish the V6 HSE had the dynamic package that comes with the V8

--- my thought is dynamic package fixes those two. And V8 is quick as the X5 M

·
Registered
1 Posts

You have the HSE, and you were able to get the dealer to paint the front bumper? Does that include that silver/chrome section in the middle on the bottom? I am looking into purchasing a new RRS, but I severely dislike that silver midsection - I saw an autobiography that had it painted black (ext. color of the car) and I loved it, but I can not justify the price tag on a ATB.

If I can ask, how much did the dealer charge you for this?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts

Most any dealer regardless of make will make arrangements for their body shop or a local shop they work with to do whatever you want. If your local dealer is unwilling to make such arrangements then seek out a body shop that offers a stellar guarantee on their work and handle this after purchase. The colour of a bit of trim should hardly be a reason to hold back from purchasing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Silver mid section is an extra cost option. It is an aluminum skid plate. If you don't get that the car comes with a glossy black plastic piece instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

To answer your questions:
1) You can see photos as I posted Album on this site. I did not have the front silver skid plate painted, but I believe you can buy a black one from LR and it is easy to swap out.
2) Dealer charged $1,395 including tax for paint job. Came out great!

Advantages of BMW X5:

--- my thought is dynamic package fixes those two. And V8 is quick as the X5 M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts