RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there seem to be a slight shimmy in my steering wheel between 50-60 mph, its not while i touch the break, it does it during normal highway driving.. anyone have any idea what it could be

thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would start with the obvious wheel balance. You might rotate the wheels front to back and see if it goes away. Sometimes a tire out of round can create the shimmy too.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Have you maybe got a mud build up on or inside of one wheel? That is a problem I have had after driving down a muddy dirt road in the spring. Also I get a similar shaking if I have been driving through deep snow and snow builds up between the spokes of the wheel. Usually happens when I get up over 80 ims per hour ( 50 mph)

I would wash the wheels inside and out first before checking the wheel balance which I would agree is the obvious next step.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most RRs do this in my experience. Mine has a subtle little shake around 70mph. Dealers are aware of it and there are multiple TSBs out on how to "fix" it but nothing works. Just one of those quirks :think:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave S said:
I would start with the obvious wheel balance. You might rotate the wheels front to back and see if it goes away. Sometimes a tire out of round can create the shimmy too.

just had them balanced, thats not it... :(

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
I had a pretty violent shimmy at highway speeds in mine several months ago which turned out to be a frozen brake caliper. Another suggestion: Did you check the ball joints?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thelokolobo said:
I had a pretty violent shimmy at highway speeds in mine several months ago which turned out to be a frozen brake caliper. Another suggestion: Did you check the ball joints?

have not checked the ball joints! could this be the problem?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Double check that your lug nuts are tight...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woldd90 said:
Double check that your lug nuts are tight...
lugs are tight, its funny it only does it on the highway at speeds between 50-60 mph.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It's got to be something rotating which is causing the issue. Have you checked the tyres for damage or uneven wear? Checked the rims as well for damage? I'd guess that should be picked up by the tyre shop when it was re-balanced. If they just checked them and didn't remove the weights at all, get them to remove them and start from scratch.

Then I guess you should move on to checking the rotors/discs condition.

I have a nightmare with the p38's balancing on the 18" Hurricanes and using road tyres (Hankook RH06). I must be due for a 4rd rebalancing now and I've only done 20K on the tyres. Last time around I told the shop to remove the stick-on weights and just use the normal tap on weights and that extended the milage between the last re-balance and the ones prior to this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich998a said:
It's got to be something rotating which is causing the issue. Have you checked the tyres for damage or uneven wear? Checked the rims as well for damage? I'd guess that should be picked up by the tyre shop when it was re-balanced. If they just checked them and didn't remove the weights at all, get them to remove them and start from scratch.

Then I guess you should move on to checking the rotors/discs condition.

I have a nightmare with the p38's balancing on the 18" Hurricanes and using road tyres (Hankook RH06). I must be due for a 4rd rebalancing now and I've only done 20K on the tyres. Last time around I told the shop to remove the stick-on weights and just use the normal tap on weights and that extended the milage between the last re-balance and the ones prior to this.

i am almost positive its not the tires/balance or rims, i actually just got new wheels and the problem was exactly the same when I had the stock wheels...so right now it seems like a rotor or disc issue...

im wondering why it only does it at the above mentioned speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FWIW, I've always understood that these are tricky to align properly and to get the wheels balanced. Lots of people complain about vibration at exactly that speed, and I've even heard dealers say "That's just how they are." Mine did it when I first got it, even after an alignment. Then I took it to the indie shop that works on my 911, and they fixed it by realigning it and rebalancing the wheels.

Interesting article here:

http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/st ... ance3.html

And some more random comments here:

http://rangerovers.net/rrmkiiiremedies.html#vibehighway

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Also torque converter lock up issues at this speed creates a similar feeling

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Has anyone checked the steering damper!!!!!!!!!!!
Before you yell at us with your insipid multiple exclamation points you might want to keep in mind that a steering damper only hides various issues. If your tyres are out of balance (bounce) a damper will have little if any impact. If your rig is out of alignment (shimmy) it will help hide the issue but does not solve the issue. Same with worn ball joints/tie rod ends, bushings etc. Solve the root cause and there is very little need for a damper.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Has anyone checked the steering damper!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no damper on this model.

A vibration like this is almost always a wheel balance issue, even if the wheel spins up 'green' on the machine. Tire balance can be more of an art then a science.

Step one would be to take a look at the weights that are on the wheels(since it's in the steering wheel, just the fronts) make sure that you don't have multiple weights around the rim, you want them in just one spot on both the inside, and one spot on the outside. Most tire balancers don't measure the actual force of the tread surface, so it can read 'good' even if it is counter balanced.

If that all looks good, I would look into having a Road Force balance done, which does measure the force of the tire on the road, and can pinpoint issues with wheel-tire high spots.

As stated above, I agree that swapping front to rear is a good idea, but not an absolute if it doesn't go away, as presumably the same balance job was done on all 4 wheels. And I might have missed it above, but what tires are installed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts