RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am currently trying to decide for my next car. I am considering only two cars at this point - Range Rover Sport or Jeep Grand Cherokee, in both cases pre-owned, petrol. I live in Poland so with my current budget it would translate to 2015-2016 Range Rover Sport or 2017-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee depending on options (I accept that the choice in used cars is limited).

I have read the discussion in this post but here the case was between new JGC and a bit younger RRS. Is there anyone who could advise something? In fact my all time dream is to have a proper Range Rover, however I don't think I could afford one in good shape for the money I have right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
209 Posts
For me it is very clear, if you go for the Jeep, you will still want the RRS.

You are a man with style and the feel for the real good things, so my suggestion is to wait for the right priced RRS or until you can afford your dream.

You will never regret it, but maybe a Jeep is not the answer for your „needs“...

Sorry, this doesn’t help on your needs from a technical POV, but that’s a lottery on cars at any age, best way is to get a car with warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a GC a few years back. If I was to choose between the two it would probably be the RR. Only thing I dont like about the RR is the high cost of patience and high labor fees fro dealership. 195.00 hr. But the GC we had was actually very nice inside. Pretty much all the same features.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
122 Posts
I owned a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V8 from new until April of 2020, towing and off-road packages and air suspension. I now have a 2016 RRS HSE TD6 with 32K miles, also with tow package and air suspension. Have not owned the RRS that long (April 2020) and it is a diesel vs gasoline but here are my initial thoughts.
  • Grand Cherokee was quicker, great highway passing ability, averaged about 16 MPG in city driving, still had original rotors and pads (had HD brakes) at 79K miles, great handling. Capable tow and off road vehicle, nice leather interior and 2-speed transfer case. Typical repairs include defective radiators, some issues with power steering and water pumps though mine didn't, leaking fluid filled motor mounts, worn upper and lower A frame bushings, weak AC and some air lift system issues. Generally lower overall cost of routine maintenance compared to RRS.
  • RRS acceleration is good, averaging 25 MPG in city driving, this one does not have a 2-speed transfer case but does have skid plates, currently has 32K miles, rides and handles wonderfully, better quality interior, sound system, excellent AC, overall a step up in quality over the Grand Cherokee. Both are similar in size but the JGC is taller and the floor is flat when the rear seats are folded down. RRS shorter but wider and rear floor isn't as flat when the rear seats are folded down. My wife has a 2018 RRS HSE SCV8 with tow package and 2-speed transfer case that make it a better comparison to the JGC and it exceeds it in every way except MPG where she sees about 13 in city driving. Says it's her all-time favorite vehicle.
The JGC is a great value, there are multiple dealer and independent repair shops available and they hold their resale value fairly well. The RRS costs a lot more initially, depreciates pretty quickly, repairs/parts cost more and quality independent repair facilities are limited but they are also more luxurious, have more prestige and appear to have gotten much more reliable in the last few years.
Neither will be totally trouble free but it will be less irritating and painful if you really love the vehicle
Jeep Garage ( Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum ) is the best forum I've found for WK2 (2011-2020) Grand Cherokee info.
Welcome to Range Rovers.net!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve owned both. An MY14 JGC and now an MY17 RRS TD6SE. Both V6 diesels. Both had air suspension. Both great vehicles and each tow as well as the other (I tow a 2.7t caravan with a 300kg towball weight).
The choice (for me) would come down to the money you want to spend, any remaining warranty on the cars, and what you want it for. Off road... probably the JGC was better (it had the full off-road kit).
The JGC was mostly trouble free for the 80,000km I owned it. The RRS I have has 50,000km on it and am about to tow a van into outback Queensland Australia with my family.
The choice....? Hard to say.... but on balance I smile more in the RRS.....!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! They are really helpful! Especially this one :)
The choice....? Hard to say.... but on balance I smile more in the RRS.....!
When it comes to daily/city driving I am almost 100% convinced that I would decide to go with RRS. I could even do with its infamously low reliability and higher maintenance costs. All the amenities malfunctioning from time to time seem to be just a downside. The only thing I really fear are some horror stories about a total breakdown and car battery life.

I don't really plan to go for hardcore off-roading trips. BUT I do often go skitouring or climbing to some remote places without good cell phone coverage and leaving the car for many hours in freezing (-20 C) temperatures. Would you also recommend RRS for such use-case without fearing each time to find yourselves in the middle of the mountains with no way of coming back? After all it's supposed to be a SUV, right?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
586 Posts
Are you handy? Are you comfortable repairing your vehicle? Service here is the States for RR can be outrageous. I don't know what it is like for RR/Jeep in Poland. That would be a factor in my decision making process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I am from Poland living in USA, I have 2016 RRS Td6, I used to have Jeep, if you can afford buy RRS.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
409 Posts
In Europe you Are probably looking at the diesel models ? Range Rover will for sure have more style, feel more special. If you can do your own maintenance it is not too bad owning one of these. Jeep will be more reliable and cheaper to maintain - my daughter has the 3.6 v6 gas model - it is well built and has a nice interior - but not as nice as RR ! Performance is fine and for snow trips or light trail work - no issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just traded in my 15 JGC for a 15 RRS HSE and could be happier. The quality between the 2 is not close RRS is far superior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts