RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I've had my sport since 8/05 and have kept up with the services recommended by the dealer and service manual but after reading the passport to service it states i should replace the transfer box oil; replace drain and fill plugs and washers, at every 5 years or 75k miles. I currently only have 35k miles on my sport.

It also states i should change the differential oil at 5 yrs or 75k and replace the brake fluid every 3 years. I did not have the brake fluid replaced at 3 years but when I asked my dealer about it he sad it should have been done during 1 of my complimentary service visits. I can not find any info in regards to the brake fluid being changed in any of my records.

I wanted to know what some of you were doing in regards to the above mentioned services. Have you had all of these done? and do you think its just a rip off or well needed services. I have an extended warranty and plan keeping the vehicle for about 2 more years so I would appreciate your feed back. thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Everything you mention is inexpensive and easy to change. I'll admit the plug replacement seems a bit too far, but all fluids should be changed at some point.

Diff fluid is an easy change out taking all of a couple hours including cleaning time under the rig. Transfer case as well as tranny fluid are a good idea to change. Yes, I would even agree with the brake fluid as it is hydroscopic adn heat sensitive. The brake bleeding procedure reads like war and peace and is very involved. I would certainly have no issues with my local indie taking on this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1

Time is an enemy for all of these fluids. Dare I say brake fluid is the worst. While you are unlikely to boil the brake fluid (depending on your driving style :twisted: ), the fluid tends to absorb atmospheric water, making a heck of a mess in the calipers/lines, and lowering the boiling point, as previously stated.

Not to be a doom sayer but, if you have a failure in any one of mentioned fluids, the results will be catastrophic.
Now to practice what I preach....

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I'll admit the plug replacement seems a bit too far, but all fluids should be changed at some point.
I don't know how it is with the other models, but it seems with the Sport LR decided that in some instances a $0.05 disposable crush washer should be eliminated and replaced with a $5 disposable drain plug. They can be reused a couple of times though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back. I was quoted $287 for just the brake fluid flush at the dealer. I thought that was expensive but it is the dealer. Is that about normal price?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts