RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 supercharged is making a "dieseling"/ engine run-on noise when i turn the engine off. Its running great otherwise but the noise is concerning. Any Ideas on why its making this noise? Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's either your timing chain guides or supercharger coupling. I have similar problem. On top of that these unfortunately are just loud motors.. You can test the blower by removing the blower belt and feeling for play as you rotate the pulley back and forth lightly. Mine moves way too much. Should be next to nothing.

·
Banned
901 Posts
It's either your timing chain guides or supercharger coupling. I have similar problem. On top of that these unfortunately are just loud motors.. You can test the blower by removing the blower belt and feeling for play as you rotate the pulley back and forth lightly. Mine moves way too much. Should be next to nothing.
How hard is it to get to the blower belt and supercharger oil drain/fill port? Do you have to remove the windshield cowl or any parts? I don't have 2010+ Topix, though I really should.

OP Does this run on always happen or just under certain circumstances? If it were me I would want to change the supercharger and engine oil and put in (the engine) 5w-30 or 0w-40 full synthetic and see if it helps vs the 5w-20. This is beyond my knowledge though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not hard if you have the tools.. But even so it's not as easy as a normal civilian car. Get the belt off, test the play in the blower pulley, and go a step further by starting the motor without the blower on and see if the noise goes away.

I took my truck to a LR shop and he said he had heard worse/noisier motors than mine but I still suspect both my blower (mine has play) and the timing chain guides based on what I heard. I will have to do both eventually. From what I heard the blower rebuild kits for the 5.0 have come down a lot in price.

There is a known issue with the 5.0 (s/c and n/a) timing chain guides, they have been updated in 2011 from plastic to metal. NOT an easy job even for an LR tech. Expect to pay 3500-4K for the complete timing chain job. It does have the potential of damaging some oil feeds so it's not only about the annoyance of the noise. My rig has 84k. In retrospect, I would have bought a 2011 had I known..

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. In response to Cliff it happens every time i turn the car off

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I don't hear much in the video, what I do hear sounds more like wind/movement of the mic, but that is on laptop speakers. But, if it is noticeable at shut-off, it is most likely the supercharger coupling.

The SC coupling/isolator is very common(on all vehicle with this blower, not just RRs) and is kind of a hollow deep pitched knocking. It can usually be heard with the hood open when running, random/no rhythm or rotational frequency, and always at shut-off, usually a double knock then. Timing chain guides are more of a lighter, higher pitched sound, almost a rattle vs a knock, and tend to be either constant or have a rhythm to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello 1st time user and Im having the exact same issue as HappyGilore on my 2011 fullsize RRSC 5.0L nothing different I've changed the coupler with the green updated version myself and i just changed the oil yesterday with Mobil 1 full synthetic advanced pro 5w30 I've even gone as far as to putting 15w40 Mobil 1 but still the same noise and it seems to be coming from where the camshaft/timimg chains are with driverside being the loudest and lightly on passenger side my next move will be to remove the belt and crank to see if I can still hear the rattle it only has over 77k miles on Dash.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a Land Rover mechanic listen to mine. He said it was nothing and the supercharged engines are just kind of noisy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just had my timing chain complete assembly replaced, and the S/C rebuilt. WOW is it noticeable difference.. very quiet now. Was embarrassing before, having had several people ask me how I had imported a diesel to the states.

One of the guides was cracked and about to let lose at any moment. 98k miles. Expensive as hell, with everything else I had done (water pump, coolant pipe recals, fan replacement, battery, new injectors, etc) but I should be good for another 100-150k I suspect. Quiet, and more importantly, safe to drive..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had my timing chain complete assembly replaced, and the S/C rebuilt. WOW is it noticeable difference.. very quiet now. Was embarrassing before, having had several people ask me how I had imported a diesel to the states.

One of the guides was cracked and about to let lose at any moment. 98k miles. Expensive as hell, with everything else I had done (water pump, coolant pipe recals, fan replacement, battery, new injectors, etc) but I should be good for another 100-150k I suspect. Quiet, and more importantly, safe to drive..
May I ask what that service trip cost? Under 8k?

·
Registered
111 Posts
May I ask what that service trip cost? Under 8k?
No, unfortunately. Was $9,044. this included 5k in parts alone..
Major parts replaced :
Oil/fluids, Supercharger rebuild kit, water pump, tensioners x2, fuel injectors x8, blades/guides x2, timing chain itself, $800 in gaskets and seals (re-sealed intake), front timing cover and seal, an updated coolant pipe that commonly cracks, radiator fan assy ($699 alone), Batter (200), all belts, and a pair of ball joints.

So really, it was a lot more work than just fixing the guides. Anything that came off, was replaced. Probably overkill, but I dont have to worry for a while. I would def rebuild the S/C coupler, the kit is not expensive and not hard to do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts