RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2011 Mark III now for about 2 weeks. I have been hearing an intermittent tapping, knock in the engine. This usually happens after the engine is at operating temp, stop, and restart within 15, or 20 min. Anything out there on this issue? Would like some fodder for the service department.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems like not much info here on this phenomena. Discovered this from an independent repair shop today. For anyone interested image.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
A friend had similar and it turned out to be poor quality fuel from a trip abroad. He always used 95 RON at home but his dealer swore blind that it was low octane fuel meeting a higher compression ratio.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
There have been issues with the oil restrictors on the 5.0l, but by far the most common engine noise is from the water pump bearing starting to fail.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There have been issues with the oil restrictors on the 5.0l, but by far the most common engine noise is from the water pump bearing starting to fail.
Would you say that the water pump issue is more common than the timing tensioner as the above TSB? This ticking is only intermittent and only at idle.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Yeah, every 5l that comes in the shop gets the water pump checked out, most common failure I've seen on these engines, both noise and leaks, and noises range from whine to grind to knock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would describe mine as a ticking that's out of sink with the rest of the engine. Looking at my service records from the first owner showed a water pump replaced about a year ago. What's up with these water pumps?
My Sport had 80,500 miles on the original pump. Obviously a differnt manufacture I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts