RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
right?! lol
i've continued to look around for the low pressure fuel pumps, but not able to nail down exactly which it is for the L322 5.0SC.
seen various things all saying they are it but look different :-/

I have one, the in tank fuel pump, I took out of my 2012 5.0 available...thought this was my issue but I have a problem somewhere else. Let me know.

Hoot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hi av8or,
what were your symptoms?
and are you sure the fuel pump wasn't partly to blame.
This is my 'hail mary' to get the wonderful machine working properly again so i'm erring on the side of new rather than used for such a relatively inexpensive part.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
302 Posts
The 5.0 motor has two High Pressure (HP) fuel pumps mechanically actuated by an accessory camshaft driven by a chain geared to the crankshaft. They’re also electrically connected to the ECM up by the battery.

They’re a pain in the *ss to swap out, which is why it’s worth changing them as a pair.

They’re located low down on the right front side of the motor, tucked under the alternator, each covered in a dark gray foam type insulating jacket.

The direct injection fuel system requires fuel delivery pressures as high as 2000 psi (low pressure systems more often around 40-60 psi) so, when higher fuel line pressures are required, the two HP pumps effectively work in series to increase delivery line pressure.

The HP pumps aren’t split from bank to bank but work in tandem

FWIW, I’ve ordered HP fuel pumps from Rockauto.com at good value prices.

The low pressure fuel pump is in the gas tank, under the back seat, accessible thru an aperture in the floor directly beneath the carpet under the rear seats.

SDD based diagnostics should be able to read both high and low fuel pressure delivery and return (an important psi and voltage signal measurement which is often overlooked).

Rob

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
302 Posts
Here’s some options from rockauto.
The LR part numbers begin with LR—————

I also use LRDirect.com for parts too. Their DHL shipping prices from the U.K. are very reasonable.

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thats great, thanks Rob!
quite a difference in price for the same thing.

Also - does anyone know (if this DOES fix the issue) will the fault codes just disappear and the CEL light go.
or do I need to clear it?

finally - just jumped in the Rover after getting it towed back from the Land Rover stealership and its still running like there is no issue but making a horrible rattling noise that wasnt there when I took it to them. Sounds like its coming from somewhere on the drives side of the engine mid to front of engine bay. GREAT! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys,
im just outside Richmond, Virginia and I own a beautiful white 2011 RRSC which had the engine light come on late last week with 'restricted performance' showing on the display.
It was running fine all day while that was displayed - went out the next day and the light started flashing and it was lumpy and would not go above 30.
After the codes were checked by my very close toyota dealership, I started the car up the following day and it was back to a solid light, revving freely and drove fine around the parking lot. Thats when I had it towed to Land Rover - as Toyota did not want to get involved.

Several fault codes being displayed - misfiring on all cylinders, misfiring under low fuel, cam position, fuel pressure.

Land Rover have looked at it and suggested it has "jumped time" and are saying it needs new tensioners etc to the tune of $6700 + tax.
This is unfortunately more than I can really afford/warrant to spend on the car so i'm sadly considering selling it in this current condition unless anyone knows of this repair being a LOT cheaper with independant garages.

I was not sure whether a simple fuel pump issue would cause these codes (cam related one) and can obviously easily be fixed - which I would be happy to do.
If not and it is that costly, I'm going to have to sell it to the highest bidder...

Any thoughts from you lovely people.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Hi Matt,

I had a very similar issue a few months back and felt as though "all is lost". I had taken it to 2-3 different shops for a diagnostics and with each shop, the suggestions were overwhelming to say the least (and SUPER expensive.) But I just couldn't shake the feeling that they were all wrong because the issues were sudden... they would come & go until I was constantly left in "reduced performance" mode. Adding in fuel injector cleaner (Chevron's) did help, but only for a short while (confirming it was somehow fuel related.) I had even changed a few of my ignition coils, that I was told might be the issue, but it didin't solve the issue. I just knew the issue still revolved around the ignition coils. Well, long story short, it WAS the ignition coil (# 3) that caused everything, but the darn shops had provided me the INCORRECT diagram to actually KNOW which was the # 3 coil (wrong one was replaced which is why my issue wasn't resolved the first go-round.) Once I got the CORRECT diagram (range rover has 2 different diagrams... for electronic issues & firing order) and replaced the CORRECT coil, my baby was smooth running again, with NO MORE ISSUES. It actually even felt weird to drive it around again without being in "reduced performance" mode anymore. Believe me, I was nearly on the verge of selling too, but thank goodness I didn't. Just make sure you have the correct coil positioning diagram for your model. I hope this helps you! Best wishes! :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m sorry but nobody is asking the obvious question. The OP explained hat the rig was driving fine then suddenly he had issues.
It sounds fishy to me that land rover is suggesting the engine jumped time when there has been no signifacnt cause to suggest that it did.
Misfires and fuel pressure issues can be caused by bad coils and and bad injectors , this happens when the ECM fails to read the correct signals of funtioning components thus it cannot compute the right fuel /air mixture for the engine. When that happens you will have major poor performance.
For an engine to skip time the timing chain has to break. The is what keeps everything in harmony on an inteferance engine.
To accept that it has skipped time without logical proof is not right.
Ask them how they came to that conclusion and ask them to show you how it stikkped time with and intact timing chain.
Unless your sprokets all lost their teeth and or the timing chan came loose or broke off you have NOT skipped time
Start with the easy stuff.
misfires? check coils
Fuel issues? check injectors , fuel filter first
Poor running? check MAF , check air filter ,
One of the often missed issues is the connectors that clip on to your injectors ..if the wires connect loosely as in too large a gap it can cause vigorous shaking and rough running too... once you check all that then you might want to go deeper.
You might hand over a car with minor issues just because a land rover novice advised you wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I really appreciate all your input folks.
they are suggesting that some noisiness (like a sewing machine on idle) was due to tensioners and also some noise from my supercharger (isolator), so wasn;t sure if a timing chain lacking in tension might have the ability to 'jump'

glad it sounds like that might not be entirely possible.
It definitely was a case of one day everything fine - next morning CEL on and "Restricted Performance"
and the codes showing misfire on ALL cylinders.
If it was ignition coils and connections, I wouldn't expect it to impact all cylinders (although i'm very much clueless with Range Rover systems)

Fuel filter, I could certainly check that - maybe a blockage due to dirty fuel?
Need to try and find me a manual of some sort to locate some of these components.

I was going to try the low pressure pump on the gas tank side.
I can give the ignition coils a wiggle and check for any obvious issues.
Is there a 'main' connection that feeds ALL coils?

and does anyone live near Richmond VA who wouldn't mind helping for beer lol?

Many thanks!!

Matt

·
Registered
504 Posts
they are suggesting that some noisiness (like a sewing machine on idle) was due to tensioners and also some noise from my supercharger (isolator), so wasn;t sure if a timing chain lacking in tension might have the ability to 'jump'

It definitely was a case of one day everything fine - next morning CEL on and "Restricted Performance"
If it was ignition coils and connections, I wouldn't expect it to impact all cylinders (although i'm very much clueless with Range Rover systems)

Need to try and find me a manual of some sort to locate some of these components.

Many thanks!!

Matt
If you’re approaching 150k we know how prematurely rubber and other insulation seems to break down on these particular vehicles.

If you’re more trusting of money in your hands vs. a shop’s, and have a few grand to comb through a few items, keep reading.

There’s a bunch of expensive maintenance that all comes due at the 150k mark, along with some even more expensive “once every 150k” or “lifetime” items if you wish to take these beyond where the manual stops charting scheduled maintenance.

The silver lining in all this is it gives you a chance to get “most of the way there” to access other items that probably could stand to be replaced.

For example: spark plugs. Accessing these you might as well put new coil packs and wiring harness / wires. Up to you if you want to tackle spark and fuel in the same day. Depending how much money you’re packing, injectors are about $200 apiece, I think. Not sure if there’s a process to actually clean them up like new or not. I hear they have a tendency to break being removed.

Next, there’s belts that come due, also. While you’ve got your belt(s) on your mind, be thinking about if you want to inspect your idlers/tensioners for wear or outright replace them since you’re in it. If going for the supercharger, look into what it takes to replace the isolator.

Do you have molded coolant “pipes” (I’d hate to call them hoses) that are brittle? Would it benefit you to change these out, as well? Inspect your water pump for leaks and wear while you’re there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts

Many thanks!!

Matt
The main connection to all coils woul be the ECM...the computer that reads al the various signalls coming in and going out..that computer is the one that decides when your injectors should fire, when and how much , it also decides how much air to allow through and when the spark gets released... IF any one of the values for those items are off even a litte beyond the preset parameters will give you headaches

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks guys.

All good info.
I am about to order the gas tank side fuel pump.
Seen units that mention the sender - not sure if it is one thing or two separate things I will need
Either way - she's been sat there for a while and dead battery, so will op the doors open and see what i'm dealing with under the rear seat.
I have a fault code reader that I can use to clear the codes afterwards and see what comes back.

I did start her up a week or so ago and drove up to get some fuel injector cleaner also, just in case.
Not sure if maybe I ended up with some mucky fuel to make this situation just suddenly come on when I started the car one morning.

It drove fine again - for about 15 minutes and then the CEL started flashing again and it would not rev past a certain amount..

still - will let you know how I get on with the low pressure fuel pump..
wish me luck!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks guys.

All good info.
I am about to order the gas tank side fuel pump.
Seen units that mention the sender - not sure if it is one thing or two separate things I will need
Either way - she's been sat there for a while and dead battery, so will op the doors open and see what i'm dealing with under the rear seat.
I have a fault code reader that I can use to clear the codes afterwards and see what comes back.

I did start her up a week or so ago and drove up to get some fuel injector cleaner also, just in case.
Not sure if maybe I ended up with some mucky fuel to make this situation just suddenly come on when I started the car one morning.

It drove fine again - for about 15 minutes and then the CEL started flashing again and it would not rev past a certain amount..

still - will let you know how I get on with the low pressure fuel pump..
wish me luck!!
Anxious to hear. Forum has been a little slow given all that’s going on. Thanks for sticking with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Should be getting the pump in the post during the week - looking forward to seeing the results.

quick question though - is there a fuel filter in/on the tank also?! Want to make sureI get a correct filter while I’m sorting it all out and found this on amazon. Looks like it belongs in the tank:
A-Premium Fuel Filter for Land Rover Range Rover L322 2010-2012 V8 5.0L Supercharged LR043154 Amazon.com: A-Premium Fuel Filter for Land Rover Range Rover L322 2010-2012 V8 5.0L Supercharged LR043154: Automotive

Any ideas?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts