RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
im just outside Richmond, Virginia and I own a beautiful white 2011 RRSC which had the engine light come on late last week with 'restricted performance' showing on the display.
It was running fine all day while that was displayed - went out the next day and the light started flashing and it was lumpy and would not go above 30.
After the codes were checked by my very close toyota dealership, I started the car up the following day and it was back to a solid light, revving freely and drove fine around the parking lot. Thats when I had it towed to Land Rover - as Toyota did not want to get involved.

Several fault codes being displayed - misfiring on all cylinders, misfiring under low fuel, cam position, fuel pressure.

Land Rover have looked at it and suggested it has "jumped time" and are saying it needs new tensioners etc to the tune of $6700 + tax.
This is unfortunately more than I can really afford/warrant to spend on the car so i'm sadly considering selling it in this current condition unless anyone knows of this repair being a LOT cheaper with independant garages.

I was not sure whether a simple fuel pump issue would cause these codes (cam related one) and can obviously easily be fixed - which I would be happy to do.
If not and it is that costly, I'm going to have to sell it to the highest bidder...

Any thoughts from you lovely people.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Sarek Autowerke could probably help you if you want a second opinion. They are not necessarily cheap but they do know their stuff when it comes to Rovers! They are just north of Richmond.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys.

I used Sarek mid last year to get a few leaks sorted - which was very pricey - but agree they know their stuff.
Its just forking out for more diagnostics and logistics in getting the car there. Not wanting to drive it in case it starts happening again :)

fault codes are:
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P0305
P0306
P0307
P0308
P0313
P0316
P0019
P000c6

so rather a few lol
and it was out of the blue one day it was fine. next day get in the car and CEL was illuminated with 'Restricted Performance' displayed (but seemed to drive fine)
Following day CEL flashing - same message, very lumpy and kind of limp-home-mode situation
Next Day bac to CEL solid and normal drivable - not lumpy

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
504 Posts
hey guys,
im just outside Richmond, Virginia and I own a beautiful white 2011 RRSC which had the engine light come on late last week with 'restricted performance' showing on the display.
It was running fine all day while that was displayed - went out the next day and the light started flashing and it was lumpy and would not go above 30.
After the codes were checked by my very close toyota dealership, I started the car up the following day and it was back to a solid light, revving freely and drove fine around the parking lot. Thats when I had it towed to Land Rover - as Toyota did not want to get involved.

Several fault codes being displayed - misfiring on all cylinders, misfiring under low fuel, cam position, fuel pressure.

Land Rover have looked at it and suggested it has "jumped time" and are saying it needs new tensioners etc to the tune of $6700 + tax.
This is unfortunately more than I can really afford/warrant to spend on the car so i'm sadly considering selling it in this current condition unless anyone knows of this repair being a LOT cheaper with independant garages.

I was not sure whether a simple fuel pump issue would cause these codes (cam related one) and can obviously easily be fixed - which I would be happy to do.
If not and it is that costly, I'm going to have to sell it to the highest bidder...

Any thoughts from you lovely people.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Find an independent, local to whichever part of RVA you’re in. I took mine to a dealer for a P0302 and a P0316, with a flashing CEL. Worthless JLR dealer (my indie was closed the week of Christmas) wanted to rip the heads apart and charge 3 hrs for diag BEFORE even cracking them open for $1750+.

Said no thank you, you’re barking up the wrong tree, and brought it to my independent who had me in and out for hundreds, not thousands, replacing the #2 injector and the P0316 resolved itself when the P0302 did. It’s not always indicative that it “jumped timing”, they’re reading into the code too literally, and taking it at face value. A good indie can read between the lines and “feel” out what certain combinations really mean, instead of looking at each one individually and thinking each code is its own individual separate issue, without any co-dependency on whatever else is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,930 Posts
how many miles on your truck and what color is the interior how much do you want to sell it for?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
548 Posts
hi guys.

I used Sarek mid last year to get a few leaks sorted - which was very pricey - but agree they know their stuff.
Its just forking out for more diagnostics and logistics in getting the car there. Not wanting to drive it in case it starts happening again :)

fault codes are:
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P0305
P0306
P0307
P0308
P0313
P0316
P0019
P000c6

so rather a few lol
and it was out of the blue one day it was fine. next day get in the car and CEL was illuminated with 'Restricted Performance' displayed (but seemed to drive fine)
Following day CEL flashing - same message, very lumpy and kind of limp-home-mode situation
Next Day bac to CEL solid and normal drivable - not lumpy

Cheers!
Matt
You need a second opinion. Don’t panic.
Maybe it is a coil issue or dirty injectors maybe not.
On 4.2 engine i had a issue like yours still have problems.
One day wanto open valve covers second day headjob. Than adding fuel injector cleaner temporarily solved reduced engine performance still rough idle but drivable
Not an expert on 5.0 maybe you are misdiagnosed

·
Registered
504 Posts
A bad fuel pump could be responsible for most, if not all of those codes.

High pressure fuel pumps (for the direct injection) are one per bank, it would surprise me to see two fail at exactly the same time. Whereas the low pressure (what you’d call the lift pump on a diesel) is a single pump closer to the tank to maintain volume supply to the high pressure inlets.

Probably the low pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, chaps.
The car has covered in the region of 130k.
My wife is already mentally 'done' with it lol and has gotten quotes from places that will by the car from us for $3k.
I'm obviously hoping to get more than that.
Its got the Rear Seat Entertainment, and seems pretty top spec inside (heated/cooled seats, Logic7 audio etc - not sure what is standard in the 5.0SC though). Just had a new windshield new sunroof and a new battery.

I'll look into taking it to an indie if I can find a 'cheapish' one here. Sarek tend to be on the higher side and i'm going to be spending a good couple of hundred just for them to look at it.

Matt

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the input, chaps.
The car has covered in the region of 130k.
My wife is already mentally 'done' with it lol and has gotten quotes from places that will by the car from us for $3k.
I'm obviously hoping to get more than that.
Its got the Rear Seat Entertainment, and seems pretty top spec inside (heated/cooled seats, Logic7 audio etc - not sure what is standard in the 5.0SC though). Just had a new windshield new sunroof and a new battery.

I'll look into taking it to an indie if I can find a 'cheapish' one here. Sarek tend to be on the higher side and i'm going to be spending a good couple of hundred just for them to look at it.

Matt
Honestly sometimes when your partner is “done” at the cheapest mechanic’s opinion you need to go rogue (not vogue) and do one, cheaper, Hail Mary before you get rid of it. That Hail Mary would be the lift pump closest to the gas tank.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You didn't mention if any work has been done to the timing chain previously, like updated tensioners or whatever. Even if the timing mechanism is the problem, with a nice 2011SC, its worth fixing vs. taking $3k. It doesn't sound like anything catastrophic has happened to wreck the engine. Select a good independent and fix it then sell. You should still be money ahead.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You didn't mention if any work has been done to the timing chain previously, like updated tensioners or whatever. Even if the timing mechanism is the problem, with a nice 2011SC, its worth fixing vs. taking $3k. It doesn't sound like anything catastrophic has happened to wreck the engine. Select a good independent and fix it then sell. You should still be money ahead.
I had the supercharger pulled on mine after the misfire / “Restricted Performance” and while it was intact, indie said the internals were showing some pitting, possibly due to the misfires. Not sure this could happen due to a no fuel condition. Does this sound possible?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had the supercharger pulled on mine after the misfire / “Restricted Performance” and while it was intact, indie said the internals were showing some pitting, possibly due to the misfires. Not sure this could happen due to a no fuel condition. Does this sound possible?
Pitting in the supercharger? No, that doesn't seem possible to me. Considering the SC as simply a rotary air compressor, the only wear should be to bearing or couplings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like your style ddm2k and I think thats what I'm going to do (hail mary at least)

NorCal RR - not aware of any timing chain work done previously. I have owned the car for 12 months and can see no evidence from the carfax report that any engine work has been performed (not sure how accurate those are)

cash flow wise - its all whether or not I want to risk spending a few grand (hopefully not $6700+tax) with an Indie doing the same work to find out that there is a different issue causing it all together.
been there with previous cars and its painful and expensive...and you end up with a load of components replaced unnecessarily.

I do love my RR though :-(

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would ask your dealer to provide you with the records based on your VIN. That should include warranty work at least. Carfax is really only reliable for citation issued or airbag deployed accidents and recalls. Everything else is subject to elective supplying of info.
Your point about diagnosing and fixing is why you use a reputable mechanic to diagnose and gain the ability to make informed decisions. Or just sell and move on if you don't mind leaving a few thousand on the table. Not what I would do but its your car and your stress over the repair.

·
Registered
395 Posts
FWIW, on my 2010 NA, I had restricted performance, flashing CEL and all cylinders showing a misfire. It turned out to be one of my coil pack boots was torn. I have no idea how that happened. I replaced that one and everything went back to normal. Not saying that you have the same issue, but just illustrating that often it's something simple and can cause a chain reaction of codes. Don't give up on her too easily.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would keep it parked as a lawn ornament than give it up for 3k

go to a real shop there was a shop in VA that does the timing chain/tensioners for $3k.

if the truck was running fine one day and bad the next and fine, etc it’s most likely a fueling issue/coil pack. Was any fuel pouring out the exhaust?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
didnt spot fuel pouring out of the exhaust but will check.
For now though - I have had her towed back to my house and I will take a look at replacing the lift pump - check could pack boots etc.

Just to steer me in the right direction - do any of you know a good place to buy parts, specifically the lift pump?

Thanks for all your input,
Matt

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would keep it parked as a lawn ornament than give it up for 3k

go to a real shop there was a shop in VA that does the timing chain/tensioners for $3k.

if the truck was running fine one day and bad the next and fine, etc it’s most likely a fueling issue/coil pack. Was any fuel pouring out the exhaust?
Please tell us the name of that shop! Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
right?! lol
i've continued to look around for the low pressure fuel pumps, but not able to nail down exactly which it is for the L322 5.0SC.
seen various things all saying they are it but look different :-/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts