RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the oil analyzed in the past on my more modified sports cars with good results. I was interested in tracking the oil in the RRS due to running the AP velocity tune and pulley along with the recommended extended oil change intervals. I normally aim to change the oil in the 7-8k miles range but stretched it to 10k this time before changing the oil and sending off the sample.

The results came back today with really good numbers for 10k. Low numbers on all the wear metals and fuel dilution with a high TBN showing there was plenty of additives still in it. With these numbers I’m confident 10k-12k miles is fine on these motors, Especaily since this is running at 650 hp with plenty of pulls. I’d have to see the numbers again at 12k+ to see if I’d stretch it to the 16k I’ve seen recommended.

The high titanium is what makes the Castrol Professional Edge different and more expensive then most oils, incase you’ve wondered why it is so pricey.

Here is the link to Blackstone Labs. Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine

They have info here on the test and what the numbers mean if you have questions. Just touch/click on the part you’d like to know more about.
Report Explanation | Blackstone Laboratories

I’ve used them for a while and have been great. There are other companies that do this as well.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
122 Posts
Thanks for sharing factual, scientific data regarding the ongoing debate over oil change intervals. I grew up with the old "every 3k miles" recommendation but that predated synthetics and tighter engine specifications. Now designer "super synthetics" engineered to demanding manufacturer specifications like those of Land Rover are easily capable of 10K miles and I've been reading there may be some engine/oil combinations in the works with 36K mile intervals. My 2016 RRS TD6 specifies 16K mile intervals IF using STJLR.03.5005 spec 5W-30 oil and Land Rover filter. That said I still lean towards doing them a bit sooner given the cost of oil relative to engine wear and potential damage but have slowly become a believer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for posting... I still get nervous if going over 6K miles between change. I use the Castrol Pro 0w20 and OEM filter...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for posting... I still get nervous if going over 6K miles between change. I use the Castrol Pro 0w20 and OEM filter...
Most do, including me. That's why I got a report to see how she is holding up.
My report was done with a dealer 0-20W Castrol pro fill.

I am very data driven in my decisions if I can get useful data. My dad on the other hand is still changing his oil at 3k intervals and is convinced I'm going to ruin this thing. I will say the inside of his engines look brand new when you look in the oil cap. But that's a lot of oil that has to be pumped out of the ground, refined and then disposed of for no real valid reason if you multiply it across hundreds of millions of cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts