Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped by my local Land Rover dealer to pick up a few cases of Castrol Pro ("liquid gold") oil to replenish my stock and I got... 1L quarts of VW/Audi oil? The parts guy (who I've known for years... he isn't blowing smoke) said this is what they just started receiving from Land Rover for use in all 5.0 Supercharged engines and confirmed that they've been through a maddening number of variations of oil, both on the retail and shop/bulk sides.

This makes the 4th specific flavor of Castrol Edge Pro that I've gotten from the dealer in 2018:

1) 1q bottles of the Ford spec 5w20 Castrol Edge Professional OE. COO: USA. (I got this in very early January at the dealer. They still had at least 1q of this today.)
2) 1q bottles of the JLR spec 0w20 Castrol Edge Professional E. COO: USA. (I got this ~3 mo ago at the dealer)
3) 1L bottles of the JLR spec 0w20 Castrol Edge Professional E. COO: Germany. (Short-lived... apparently I cleaned their "old" stock out today)
4) 1L bottles of the VW spec 0w20 Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE. COO: Austria. (I got this today).

My takeaway: what I've felt all along, the "Made specifically for Jaguar Land Rover" Ford and JLR spec oils are nothing special. I did take an oil sample of whatever came out (whatever they were serving from the 55g drums in the shop in January) for analysis.

Travis

01.jpg
02.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Yeah it’s marketing..

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is what I use. From what I can tell it exceeds all of JLR’s specifications for their 5w20 grade of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
The oil "required" by LR is the same oil "required" by VAG, Volvo, BMW, Ford etc... even Honda. "Professional" means it has a dye in it so that if your engine blows up they can analyze the oil to check if you have been using the recommended oil. Several members here have moved to Castrol Edge Platinum which is the same thing without the dye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts