RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the range on a 4x4 trip yesterday we did 30km in 9 hours it included a two spoor mountain pass with a crazy slope. I was really impressed with the way the car handled no problems at all towed a 110 out 2 times and another car. Only problem I experienced were rocks scraping on my diff so I want to put a diff guard on front and rear as well and upgrade my tires from 16 inch to the 18 inch hurricanes to give me a some extra high for my axels. Will try get hold of some photos and put them up.

Does anyone know where I can get a diff guard.

Other problem I experienced was my abs locking up when I descended a steep gravel hill anyone know if the abs/traction control can be manually disabled.Last question is the P38 permanent 4x4 of does it change to 4x4 when traction is lost?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi mate the Range Rover is permanent 4 wheel drive and the gearbox has a viscous coupling which locks up when traction is lost this splits the torque 50/50 between the front and rear axles.
As regards your ABS, was the issue that you where trying to control the speed of the descent with your brakes? if so be carefull decending steep slopes and applying brakes as it is very easy to end up with your vehicles back end coming round and causing a roll. in my opinion i would drive down the slope if it was very steep, that is engage 1st low and accelerate just enough to keep the wheels turning and not sliding as can happen when left just on engine braking.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
JeremyD said:
Took the range on a 4x4 trip yesterday we did 30km in 9 hours it included a two spoor mountain pass with a crazy slope. I was really impressed with the way the car handled no problems at all towed a 110 out 2 times and another car. Only problem I experienced were rocks scraping on my diff so I want to put a diff guard on front and rear as well and upgrade my tires from 16 inch to the 18 inch hurricanes to give me a some extra high for my axels. Will try get hold of some photos and put them up.

Does anyone know where I can get a diff guard.

Other problem I experienced was my abs locking up when I descended a steep gravel hill anyone know if the abs/traction control can be manually disabled.Last question is the P38 permanent 4x4 of does it change to 4x4 when traction is lost?
-Stop for a minute and think to yourself why changing from a 16" wheel to an 18" wheel would give you some more ground clearance. Because it has absoultely zero to do with the wheel, and everything to do with the tire. If you're going to keep wheeling, stick with the 16's, as there are WAY more options for tires and sizes.

-Southdown made diff guards, but I can't remember who still carries them. AB might, but I'm pretty sure rovers north still does. Google it and you'll find em.

-The P38 is full time 4x4, with a non-locking center differential. Traction control on the rear axle for 95-99, and 4 wheel traction for 99+.

Take some pics of the wheeling next time...we love to see good action shots, especially since the closest thing I have to a mountain is an expressway overpass.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys I have a lot of experience in sand driving but very little over rocky terain after the abs incident i engaged 1st low rage and gently touched the brakes. Will have a look around and see if I can get a larger tyre for the range.Once again thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Stick with 16" wheels for off roading and get tyres with a higher sidewall profile to increase the clearance uder the diffs. With 18's you'd be lucky to get a 60 % profile tyre, with 16's you could go up top 70 or 75% profile at a push. I'm on 255/65/16 tyres at present, when I've worn these out, which could take a while :D I'll go for BFG AT's 265/75/16 tyres for an extra inch or so under the diff, if 75's will tuck under the arches, they should do.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waveydavey said:
If you do know anybody in the area with Hurricanes for sale please let me know.
Will do I am struggling to get hold of them I have tried all the scrap yards but no one has any.

How quickly does the viscous coupling respond because I have had some times on gravel roads were the rear tends to start sliding out on a permanent 4x4 this wont happen.

As for the set of Michillin Schynchrones I was crusing on yesterday I honestly can say they performed awesomely I never knew tyres could flex that much and not a single puncture the whole day, sidewalls were alse fine!

LIRA said:
Stick with 16" wheels for off roading and get tyres with a higher sidewall profile to increase the clearance uder the diffs. With 18's you'd be lucky to get a 60 % profile tyre, with 16's you could go up top 70 or 75% profile at a push. I'm on 255/65/16 tyres at present, when I've worn these out, which could take a while :D I'll go for BFG AT's 265/75/16 tyres for an extra inch or so under the diff, if 75's will tuck under the arches, they should do.
Will have a look at the BFG`s they are great tyres!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Unless you have modified the suspension 265.70x16 is about the biggest you can fit.
245.75x16 is also a nice alternative with good availabilty in loads of tyre patterns.
GG AT2 is also a very good AT tyre, and usually quite cheaper than the BFG.

And

·
Registered
151 Posts
How quickly does the viscous coupling respond because I have had some times on gravel roads were the rear tends to start sliding out on a permanent 4x4 this wont happen.

Jeremy the 4 wheel drive setup is designed so that you can drive on the roads with out risk of transmission wind up/damage,thats why it has a viscous coupling or on earlier range rovers a lockable center diff when the viscous coupling encounters a differential in wheel speed it locks thus splitting the torque between front and rear axle.
If the unit wasn't fitted and just one of your wheels lost traction the vehicle would stop as all the power/torque would be released through the spinning wheel.
The only better system is to have lockable diffs on each axle or have torsen diffs fitted.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yea, nothing to do with the wheels, definitely more options for the 16's, stick with them. I'm never selling my 18's though haha.
When you get up to 31's it is necessary to upgrade the bump stop size too. My tires rub going over speed bumps.
Eric

·
Registered
457 Posts
q-rover said:
Unless you have modified the suspension 265.70x16 is about the biggest you can fit.
245.75x16 is also a nice alternative with good availabilty in loads of tyre patterns.
GG AT2 is also a very good AT tyre, and usually quite cheaper than the BFG.

And

Cheers Q, I'm on my second set of GG AT2's and they're excellent for what I use the Rangie for fair play but been reliably informed that BFG's last even longer!!
I got 36k miles from the first set and currently on 20k miles on this set and the outer shoulders are only just showing signs of wear.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
You'll find the rear end on a range rover will slide on gravel. It also depends on how you drive it in the bends and what suspension setup you have. If you've firmed up the rear at all using gas dampers, aftermarket bushes etc, then you could find that the rear skips across gravel, reducing grip. If you like travelling at speed, you'll find the Scandahooligan Flick works well, but don't forget to boot the throttle once the slide starts otherwise you'll be looking where you just came from. Also, you will probably find the auto box a little too slow in kicking down to give you the power when you need it. However, I suspect you know all this anyway from local rally drivers. :doh:

Interestingly, the p38 understeers on tarmac, especially with 16" AT tyres... :think:

Anyway, if you are into this sort of thing, check out this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnra8IJwxus

·
Registered
543 Posts
JD.

As per Kmag's comments, stick to the 16" wheel size and appropriate 265/70R16 or 31x10.5R16 rubber to get extra clearance !

You might need to replace your shockies if the back end is joining the front over sand tracks as this will help stop joining ends, I think Kmag has the Doetsch-Tech Pre-runners on his P38 which will give a progressive ride the faster one travels over land and if you can think of the idea on "Baja" racers dragging their bottoms across trails then this is the attitude your truck needs ?
Remember the greater circumference in tyre diameter will result in higher gearing, thus affecting the low range decline speed.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just read on the rr website and I need opionions please I do sand driving and now quite a bit of rock driving so I need a tough side wall and another inch or two under my diffs?

Here are the options

265/70 R16
245/75 R16
255/70 R16

·
Registered
543 Posts
JD.

As discussed the suspension will probably need upgrading when replacement rubber are sourced to your ideal requirement man.[attachment=2:1f4mltom]31SSM-16.jpg[/attachment:1f4mltom][attachment=1:1f4mltom]265SSR70.jpg[/attachment:1f4mltom]

Images are of the Super Swamper SSM-16 in 31x10.5R16 on a fitted wheel, the Super Swamper SSR in 265/70R16 tread pattern or the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip tyre carcaass which is a softer compound and specific application tyre in 31x10.5R16 size dude !

Depending on the off highway and on highway speeds you're experiencing in Namibia over sand or tarmac will narrow down the choices available, as the extra sidewall or tread face protection over rocky terrain will dictate the number of plys and flotation ?

I've currently got fitted Dick Cepek FC-2 tyres with Bilstiens all-round my Rangie Classic in Western Australia, which maybe similar to conditions in Namibia but I'll check tomorrow on the locations you've visited with one of my mated from Zimbabwe.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts