RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, for context I have a 2015 HSE with the Heavy Duty package (tow hitch, twin speed transmission, etc.)

For whatever reason last night after the gym, I tapped on the 4x4 screen button shortly after starting it up. (I have the shortcut saved to the home screen - I take it off road relatively often) Upon launching, the screen showed the symbol for the rear differential, which I do not have on my car. (see photo below)

IMG_4840.JPG

I believe this is probably normal but it also leads me to think there may be a potential "plug and play" rear diff install opportunity for folks out there. Based on this behavior, I suspect the rear diff "software module" may already be loaded on all vehicles and is either "enabled" or bypassed on startup. I have not crawled under the vehicle to see if there is a wiring harness down there.

Does anyone have any more technical insights or opinions?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,459 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. I also have a HSE with the two speed transfer case. All cars that are driven by the rear wheels have a rear differential. I have been under mine, and there is a huge wiring harness in the are of the rear diff.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
13 Posts
I'm assuming when you said your car doesn't have a rear diff you meant it doesn't have a "locking" rear diff.

I am no expert on the different configurations over the years, but if your car has a 2-speed transfer case I would imagine it might have the offroad package, and that could very well include locking center and read diffs.

Have you looked at the 4x4 page while offroading? Is the rear diff always green or does it turn orange and red? What about the center diff?

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad guys - it was early when I wrote that first post. I do in fact have an open rear differential and of course, the center locking diff. Briefly upon startup, the 4x4 screen shows the "icon" for the rear differential for about 15-20 seconds before the graphic changes and only shows the "icon" for the center locking diff - which is what I would expect. I know for a fact I do not have a locking rear differential and I know the center locking diff works as it is supposed to.

To my knowledge the "Heavy Duty Package" or "Off-Road Package" only included the twin speed transfer case w/ locking center diff, the tow hitch, and adaptive variable damping.

Interesting that there is a wiring harness under there, I will crawl down there later and see if I have one don there as well. I am curious if the software to support the locking rear diff is in the car already - if that's the case I am sure there are a number of folks who would be interested in swapping in the locking rear if its really that "easy".

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,459 Posts
Hopefully so. By the way, in 2014 the tow package was a $650 option separate from the extra duty package. Not sure if things changed in 2015.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts