RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Range Rover HSE with 70,000 Miles on it. I love it, but second day owning it, I leave my driveway, and there are 4 oil drops on the driveway, and every time I park the vehicle it's the same story. the four drops are there. They are not huge puddles... Just drops. I am wondering if its because of the oil change that happened prior to me purchasing the vehicle, but I am also thinking that it could be a potential oil leak. These are all coming from the front of the vehicle, and not the back, mid or any other part of the vehicle. I am VERY car savvy, and could perform this repair myself (if needed) but I would rather have a better idea of what to say to the dealership I bought it from, when I go back up there. I let them know of the problem the same day it happened.

Advice is more than welcome. This is my dream car, and I finally got the ok from the wife to purchase it. It has low miles, routine maintenance, one owner and in amazing condition.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
First thing to do is clean your engine and under carriage so you can start fresh and identify the leak. Also start check torques, clamps and fittings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture of the leak. I don't 20141109_110806.jpg know if this helps at all. I am going to do what you said here in a minute, and post those photos as well. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better Angle, not upside down. 20141109_110806.jpg I guess my other question would be, if I continue to top off the oil, am I safe to drive it??

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Congrats on getting your dream SUV. All on this forum have a fondness for the RR.
Good thing you're very car savvy. You'll need that.

As such, you know that it's not easy to tell where oil's leaking from with a pic of oil dripping from the subframe.
Toadhall forgot to mention look for oil leaks BEFORE driving, after you rinse off the oil. That's a big reason for rinsing off the existing oil.
Once you drive or even run the engine, the oil will get slung all over the place again.

Another good thing about being very car savvy is that you'll enjoy scouring existing forum posts related to oil leaks for your MY.
If you use the Search function, you can look for the various places the BMW engines leak oil.

And they do leak at many places. Since you've only had it 2 days, and if you aren't familiar with common problems like age-related maintenance related to oil leaks, you've got a lot of surprises ahead.

I recommend you spend a lot of time on the Forum reading up on the 2003 - 2005 RR about what you bought.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lift the top cover off the motor and check the PCV sysem hoses and the vale cover seals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I took the RR to my mechanic, and he says that the problems are that the Rear Main is leaking and there is seepage at the valve covers and gaskets. This sounds expensive to me, and just getting the car on Friday of last week (11-7-14) I am pretty pissed, and going to defer the dealership to get this repaired, or get my money back on the car. Any advice would help, though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yikes! That bites... Not knowing the laws in Texas I shall offer the following as general car sales principals (I used to sell cars). If your sales contract was "as is" you are probably screwed. If it is sold as "certified" you've likely got a solid argument and legal case.

If the dealer hid this from you you might have legal grounds for small claims suit (again general principal but your legal system is definitely different from our common law). The dealer very likely could not have known about it (as the previous owner could have steam cleaned it before it was sold, traded in or auctioned it). What ever the case it was sold without full disclosure and clearly not as you thought, but regardless of legal and ethical issues, "buyer beware".

No dealer wants to get a bad name and most will try to work it out with the customer. Just plain stupid business if they don't. My two,cents worth. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well if it's just valve covers this is expected on these engines. Not too bad of a job and super cheap if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1 - When you say you took it to your mechanic; is he a Range Rover mechanic, or a general mechanic that "you have a good history with, trust, knows what he's doing", etc.? If so, he's most likely wrong on the main seal leak. If you make use of the mass of valuable info that already exists in this forum, and read-up on the common problems with your MY, this would not be news to you. 2 - I don't think you'll get a lot of support if you go after a used auto dealer for an oil leak on a vehicle that's 10 years old. From what you're describing, the RR you just bought sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer is picking up the car today to get the work done on the vehicle. It just seems a bit silly as a dealer to not just go ahead and take care of something like this so soon after selling a car. I will let you all know if they make good on this. It's not that I cant do the repair, it's that I shouldn't have to do any repairs after a weekend of driving this vehicle. In this day and age of the internet, consumers finally have the power to make things happen, so I am not worried. Also, you guys are extremely helpful and I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Range Rover Mechanic, and the dealer lied to me about the car and the maintenance already received.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
24 Posts
This truck is almost 10 years old. There is going to be a certain level of leaks as well. Did you look under where the car was parked at the dealer to check and see any leaks? Your lucky this isn't a Rover V8, small oil slicks are the norm and 4 drops of oil would be the engine is out of oil.

But rear main seals on the M62 rarely has issues, but the valve covers are notorious leakers. Most likely the spark plugs will have oil around the threads, so its a good idea to replace the spark plug boots on the coil overs. And as a "while your in there" Do plugs as well.

Its already apart, so its kind of senseless not to.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ditto! If your stealer is going in then get the plugs n stuff done too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heres my 2 cents worth, as an 03 RR owner.I am not a mechanic, but had a series of oil leaks as well.
1) Theres a variable speed timing gear cover(s) that will leak.(And yes change the plugs while this is being done.)
2) Valve cover gaskets.( they leaked too).
3)Oil Drain plug has some sort of OEM seal. This can leak too if they did not change it with oil change. I think it's brass. If the mechanic doesnt have one handy he will re-use the old. Not a great idea.
Now I am leak free
Frustrating in the meantime. I have been there

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) and hoses on the rear of the engine. Look for RSWSolutions on youtube to see what is to be done. If hoses leak or PCV gets clogged the oil pressure will press oil past the valve covers. But the pressure can potentially ruin your engine. Hoses weren't oil resistant...Get it replaced as I understand. Should not be that bad of a job for a car savvy person like yourself... Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was the rear main seal on my Rover that was leaking. She is all fixed up now. We are rocking and rolling.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It was the rear main seal on my Rover that was leaking. She is all fixed up now. We are rocking and rolling.
That must have been expensive. You are the only one that I recall ever having a rear main seal leak in the M62 on this forum, in 7 years. Not that it hasn't happened...
Did the dealership, Land Rover dealership, do the work?
Or was it an independent mechanic shop?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the work was done at the LR Dealership, and they "split" it with me as the repair was $900.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts