RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all first off thanks to this forum and community and the contribution of others for the wealth on information it provides! its very helpful for current and future owners. The Velar forum is still a little light but i know that with time it will keep populating as the ownership base increases.

I thought i would post a quick and dirty recap of my Velar experience thus far... bullet pointed.
I have a spec ordered Velar P380 HSE, full load with 22" wheels, only items left off were 4 zone climate, HUD, and Towing package.
Most of my comparison is targeted towards the 2014 RRS SCV8 Dynamic, that's the vehicle I came from.

The Good points that stands out:
-exceptionally quiet ride, smooth and comfortable despite the 22" wheels. It feels more comfortable in the way it soaks up bumps and road imperfections than the RRS did, even though my RRS had 21" wheels.
-amazing interior quality finishing when spec with full leather and suede headliner.
-Amazing looking especially with the 22's. Subjective, I know. But it reminds me of a concept car.
-Good turn in, especially with Dynamic activated, certainyl not a sports car but not super soft and lofty. Equivalent to the Sport/Dyn mode.
-surprisingly no brake dust. JLR must have sourced a different pad supplier because there is virtually no dust on wheels?. I have the larger brakes option.
-The view out the windshield is more sporty, cockpit feel, more confidence inspiring, rather than "TALL" and "IN CHARGE" like the Sport was. Could be good or bad, but i like the view out the front and sides.
-The tech is awesome. The touch screens are fast and powerful. Glitchy at times, nothing major, but lets face it - so is my over-engineered iPhone. Nothing is perfect. The Navigation is also awesome, i can just easily plug in Starbucks or W Hotel in another city and country and it just picks up the keywords. Clever. Never had that in all my cars.
-Remote start is clever and a nice toy.
-I LOVE the Silicon Silver color. I got tons of compliments on it. So glad i don't have to wash a black car anymore.

The not so great part - areas of improvement:
-the ride is not very exciting or engaging. Cant put my finger on it, but been thinking about this for a while now. Feels like i'm driving a tall sedan vs a small SUV, if that makes sense? I've had M's and AMG's so its possible the ride ive been once used to is lacking to me... perhaps i picked the wrong car? I did not feel this way in the Sport, which bring me to the possible answer.....
-Exhaust is boring and muted. Really, JLR missed the mark here. There is NO excitement or sound to it at all, in my opinion. Sounds no different to a Toyota Corolla SE, to me.
-Price is high. Yes yes yes i know i bought it anyways and spec'd mine high but still should really have been about $5-10k less, which i also realize puts it too close to the Jag F Pace. There is no really answer here, more of an observation.
-Wish the seating position was a little higher but then it wouldn't have the look that it currently does.
-could use a larger fuel tank

cheers!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Velar L560
22 Posts
Great write-up Van604 - most of what you wrote is how I feel about the Velar - I had a 2014 RRS HSE in the past as well.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Something to think about is that the Velar was not designed to be a sports car or be exciting or engaging. If you want a Range Rover that is exciting your purchase a Sport SVR. If you want luxury you buy a 405 AB. If you want something small and zippy for city driving you purchase an Evoque. The Velar filled the slot for folks that want a relaxed quiet comfortable four door with decent fuel economy so they could brag that they bought a new Range Rover.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had my First Edition since mid September and have put just over 4k miles on it. I was initially so enamored with the design and drive but over time have fallen out of love with this car. It doesn't help that I ordered a 2018 Sport SVR due in late May (because of SVO paint) to make me want to get out of it.

The interior is fantastic and it's a very very comfortable drive. In Dynamic and S mode the 380hp is quite good and although it wasn't marketed as "sporty" like a Macan for example, it IS sporty to drive. The engine does sound awful and I hate this V6. I would never purchase a Sport with the same engine. I had 3 V8's in a row and I just prefer them. But LR could have done a small improvement with exhaust, I agree 100%.

I hate the low ride height and in traffic I can see drivers of other crossovers that are actually higher than me. It's like a slightly higher wagon/avant/estate and is more car like than I really wanted. I think it's a nice upgrade for Evoque owners. I've had an Evoque as a loaner a few times and the Velar to me is a nicer Evoque rather than a lighter, nimbler and slightly smaller Sport. On paper, the size doesn't seem much smaller than the Sport (4.5 inches lower, 2 inches shorter, 1.5 inches narrower) but it really feels like it to me. I just don't like the shape of the windows, the seating position and being down low inside the cabin. Some would love that but it's just not my preference. I had a sport for 7 years and loved the more commanding view.

Design wise, I love the profile, front and three quarter views but walking towards the rear I think to myself that it looks sort of wimpy. Sorry to other owners as I don't mean to offend. Just my honest opinion. So in summary, I truly think it's a great looking vehicle and a comfortable daily driver and perfect for many people, but it's just not for me.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There is an SVR version rumored for 2019/20 and I wonder if that will close the gap OP feels about being connected and sporty. I'm glad you posted this though cause I've been wondering if this is a possibility for me or not. I think I'll wait and test drive the SVR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts