RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. It's my first time posting so I apologise if it is in the wrong section.

I have a 1996 4.6HSE, and whilst someone was cleaning it out for me, the battery died. Completely died. This means that the BECM stopped receiving any power and lost the EKA code, and when I jump started it, it wouldn't accept the EKA code. I know that the code not going in could be anything from the BECM out of sync with the EMS, to the door handle not being flush. The thing that I want to try is Blackbox Solutions' BECM Sync-Mate, and get her going again. Does anyone have one I could borrow? I'm in the UK, London area. I'd like to borrow it because I don't want to spend money on a small item when I'm going to be selling the car, I just want her going again!

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
BeCM won't lose the EKA code, no matter how long power is disconnected for, it's stored in memory. Has your EKA worked in the past? Do you have the EKA specifically for your car (the 1515 often quoted will only work on a US car)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to callrova and he said that if there isn't a constant 11v to the BECM, then the becm memory corrupts. If this is the case the it would need to be re-synced to the EMS, but I'm not an expert.

"Unfortunately when the battery dies on the car it corrupts all the data within the becm. The becm needs a constant 11 volts to keep the becm stable"

The previous two owners recall using the code and it worked for each of them. And I have the specific code. So it's either a matter of a faulty handle, or lock actuator, or wire, etc or the BECM needs to be re-synced. Any suggestions on where to go are welcome though!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
If it won't accept the EKA, and it has before, then it could be a case of the door latch (or associated wiring) is playing up and stopping the EKA signal from reaching the BECM..

·
Registered
560 Posts
If it won't accept the EKA, and it has before, then it could be a case of the door latch (or associated wiring) is playing up and stopping the EKA signal from reaching the BECM..
+1 on this. Check your door latch micro-switches first. Then make sure you don't have "Key Code Lockout" on the display. If you do, go indoors, make several cuppa's, and wait 30mins. EKA will only work after the Lockout message has gone.

FYI, I had battery issues last weekend . . .dropped to 9.5V . . recharged . . . next day 4.5V . . .recharged . . . .next day new battery. Entered EKA and everything works again. Only thing needing reset was windows & sunroof. . . .and radio memories !!

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on this. Check your door latch micro-switches first. Then make sure you don't have "Key Code Lockout" on the display. If you do, go indoors, make several cuppa's, and wait 30mins. EKA will only work after the Lockout message has gone.

FYI, I had battery issues last weekend . . .dropped to 9.5V . . recharged . . . next day 4.5V . . .recharged . . . .next day new battery. Entered EKA and everything works again. Only thing needing reset was windows & sunroof. . . .and radio memories !!

Pete
I thought that would be the case. So how do I go about checking the door latch micro-switches? I do think that could be the problem.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts