1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My first post starts with a bang.

I own a 1995 Range Rover p38 4.6HSE, which suffered a catastrophic failure yesterday - I need your advice.

This rangie is used most weeks, but only in 2wd mode, 4wd was last used in Dec 2011 in snow.

Whilst driving down the motorway at a steady 70mph, there was a humming noise (sounded like a tyre rubbing) and after around 1 mile on, BANG....

There was a big bang, then looking through my rear view mirror I see my proshaft rolling on the hard shoulder! After pulling over I discover it is the front prop has been ripped off!! This has also punctured the RH cat.

Any suggestions as to why this could have happened?

I can post pictures of the state of the dift if required.

Thanks

Rob

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
There is no "2wd mode" with a P38.

More than likely the Ujoints have been neglected, one failed the driveline dropped and ripped the second Ujoint apart and the driveline dropped.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
LMAO... yea I resisted the urge to point that one out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, however I pulled over in time to not have the failure while driving. Noise was loud! I pulled over and after figuring it was the front u-joint going into diff that was going out, I just dropped the shaft and was on my way. Upon closer inspection it was noticed that the genus prev owner had it happen, lost the shaft at the rear u-joint going into transfer case (lots of dented sheet metal under there) but only replaced those u-joints!
Do both ends of the front shaft! I ended up needing a new front section.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Maintenance on these vehicles is critical. Maintenance on any vehicle is critical. The U-joints will fail on ANY vehicle if they are not serviced. The u-joints that the P38 uses is not some crazy expensive british backward part, it is just a standard u-joint that requires standard grease.

If this happened to you, then I would strongly recommend you go over the whole vehicle and do any neglected maintenance items (change all fluids, t-case, diffs, oil, etc) as well as service the tranny, replace the remaining u-joints, check all ball joints, etc...

If you are reading this and don't know if your u-joints are being serviced, go buy a grease gun ($10 or less) and some grease ($5) and lube them up. 4 u-joints under the truck...

·
Registered
948 Posts
After seeing couple pictures of what a failure of a u-joint will do to the underside of the car here in the forum, I have been greasing my u-joints during each oil change (Every 7,500 miles). Also, after amassing 150,000 miles, I have replaced all u joints for good measure. Considering how cheap they are, probably should be replaced every 100,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts