RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 2001 has 111k miles, my valve cover gaskets have started to leak. I've already purchased the gaskets and screws, is there anything else I should replace while I have everything apart?

How long does the job usually take? I've replaced them on other cars, but after looking closely at the RR 4.6, there sure seems to be a lot of stuff I have to remove to get to the covers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
upper and lower manifold gaskets since they are coming off anyway, you can check the plugs, wires and coil and replace if necessary, same for the oil sperator and breather hoses might as well look at the belt, tensioner and pulleys sinec they are coming out

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I have to take the belt, tensioner and pulleys off as well just to get to the valve covers?? :shock:

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
I am not sure why the ancillaries would have to be removed. True there is a rediculous amout of top end that needs to be removed to get the inet manifold off, but I have never taken any of the front parts off to do so. Your best bet would be to download RAVE. THe directions come with pictures. :thumb:

·
Registered
226 Posts
oops, you are correct the belt does not have to come out, I was thinking head gasket instead of valve cover gasket

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
You could just try to tighten down the bolts that you can get to without removing anything first. That worked for me 50k miles ago, but when it started up again a few k ago, it didn't work. :(

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that genuine gaskets have a metal sleeve that ech of the four bolts for each cover go through. In theory you can't overtighten them, but don't go ape on tohose little bolts as they can snap or strip.

PS they are 5/16 12point and the sockets are $15 for the 12 point set at Sears.

·
Registered
229 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Something to keep in mind is that genuine gaskets have a metal sleeve that ech of the four bolts for each cover go through. In theory you can't overtighten them, but don't go ape on tohose little bolts as they can snap or strip.

PS they are 5/16 12point and the sockets are $15 for the 12 point set at Sears.
Change them for stainless steel allen head bolts,much easier to use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to be clear which intake manifold gaskets will be breached/removed to get at the valve cover gasket? Atlantic British sells a set but it seems like there are more than will be needed. Atleast I hope so!

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
On a Bosch the only gasket that could possibly need replacing would be the "intake to banana" gasket (ERR6621). On a GEMS engine none need to be replaced.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you wanting to just replace the rocker cover gaskets - you refer to valve covers - that sit on top of the heads? If that is all then you only need to disconect the air intake and maybe a couple of other things (I can't recall exactly what) to remove them. You will need to remove the screw that attached the dip-stick tube to the block and rotate the tube out of the way a little.
The is no need to remove any manifolds or other things because you won't be going that far into the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds about right I looked at it quick and It looked like to get at the back bolts I was going to need to take the intake manifold off, or at least the upper portion, but it would be much easier if that was not the case. Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts