RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another bit of advice required please.

My Range rover (4.6 with multi point lpg) requires a lot of cranking and half throttle to start whether hot or cold (and it stinks of petrol).

It seems as though its running on about 6 cylinders for a few seconds and then fine.

It drives fine.

Sometimes it will even start when you just flick the key (How it used to).

The problem stemmed from (I think) when driving to Ricks for some diagnostic work it wouldn't start on the motorway services. I opened the bonnet and found the plug for the ECU coolant sensor had popped off the sensor. I re attached it. The car started eventually and was fine. Rick cleared the codes (aircon only) and the car started and ran absolutely fine whilst there. I am thinking of taking it to the stealers for them to put it on the machine but thought (after reading through many postings here) I would ask if you have any ideas.

I have changed the coolant sensor for the ECU and it made no difference. I have had to rearrange the clip for the plug as it disintegrated on two sides but it is securely fitted.

I assume MAF OK as car runs fine when started eventually.

I am assuming its a sensor (Its had a new battery as well) because of the fuel smell (Maybe cold start sensor if different to ECU sensor, brown plug?) which says it's overfuelling on start up.

Any advice would be appreciated. Caravan season approaches and she needs to be ready for duty! `)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Could be one of many problems.

Compression test is king to every fault like this and is very simple on the V8s to do, takes no more that 20 mins tops
I should know as I do it all the time..

But other areas of consideration:
HT leads, if good are they attached correctly and not crossing or touching each other, <very important
Fuel pump, pressure test can be carried out.
Fuse box...
Power relay for engine ecu in fuse box
Snuff injectors, maybe LPG is damaging these over time (Not sure)
Bad engine earth strap
Worn engine, even then it should fire up easily
Blocked fuel filter (when was it really last changed)
Throttle position sensor (Rarely goes)
Coils, check connector condition, might have residue on lugs.
Spark plugs, are they the right ones (Brand and type), how many miles have they done

If a engine doesnt start easy it wont always show a fault, sometimes it could be something simple, though exspensive like carboned up valves......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
viperover said:
Could be one of many problems.

Compression test is king to every fault like this and is very simple on the V8s to do, takes no more that 20 mins tops
I should know as I do it all the time..

But other areas of consideration:
HT leads, if good are they attached correctly and not crossing or touching each other, <very important They are good but I'll check routing. However they were fine before (8mm leads)
Fuel pump, pressure test can be carried out. I'll have to get that checked although again it does run fine
Fuse box...Seems ok
Power relay for engine ecu in fuse boxWhich one is it?
Snuff injectors, maybe LPG is damaging these over time (Not sure)I'll check them but again seem ok
Bad engine earth strapI'll check and report
Worn engine, even then it should fire up easily 122k miles FSH and synthetic oil so hope not
Blocked fuel filter (when was it really last changed)I'll get it changed anyway
Throttle position sensor (Rarely goes)
Coils, check connector condition, might have residue on lugs.I'll have a look see
Spark plugs, are they the right ones (Brand and type), how many miles have they doneJust changed due to the problem. NGKs now. Were Land Rover Platinum

If a engine doesnt start easy it wont always show a fault, sometimes it could be something simple, though exspensive like carboned up valves......
Thanks for the input. I'll do the bits I can and think I'll chuck into the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts