Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Some may remember my previous posts regarding the long running rebuild of my 4.6 HSE.
I was in a considerable quandary as to how much work (read dollars) to put into the engine of an ageing Range Rover of low capital value. Thank you to those who offered advice.
To quickly recap, I bought the vehicle ‘for a song’ with most of the usual RR issues. Unfortunately it had already been converted to coil suspension. It provided 50,000km of reliable service, it’s primary role is towing my boat which probably weighs in around 2 tons. It is much loved and fits my 2m height. Although it never faltered, I decided to refresh the engine that was showing signs of being tired.
Once apart I was faced with the quandary of how much work to perform on a vehicle which, tongue in cheek, a new set of tyres would over-capitalise. Apart from very worn bearings and some stuck oil control rings it largely seemed in reasonable condition. I believe that a new set of rings and bearings would largely rejuvenate the engine.
Nevertheless I handed the engine over to a rebuilder and the job ‘grew like Topsy’. It has received +020 HC pistons, 214’ Crow Cam and all the usual replacements and upgrades. I must confess to being a little shocked at the bill at just over $5000 (Aus). I was hoping for around $3000. I do trust the engine rebuilder so I can only hope that ‘quality is remembered long after price is forgotten’, so to speak.
So now to install it.
A quick question, do people ever paint an aluminium engine?
Anyway, boarder closures are still preventing me from picking up the new yacht that is stuck in Queensland 1500 km away but as it will weigh in around 3 tons I’ll be keen to put the new engine to the test.
I will provide a road test report once it’s back together.
Regards All
Alan

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
459 Posts
Hi Alan, To paint or not to paint is really up to you. These engines weren’t painted from new. If you do decide to make it look flash, then you will need to give it a good etch priming beforehand otherwise the paint will flake off over time.

As for the rebuild cost, I think your $5k is not far from the mark for what you have had done, on a drop off pick up basis, I.e. you are paying for shop time at $150/hr as opposed to doing it yourself so there is probably $3k in labour in that bill.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm in the same position as you. I bought mine for $1,500 and 160,000 ks as it had issues which I luckily fixed for a few hundred dollars. I didn't expect to get much out of it as I didn't think it was worth pulling the motor down to replace head gaskets and oil seals - drive it till it dies philosophy - but here I am, 50,000 ks and a couple of big trips later, the price of second hand cars is high and a $5k motor rebuild is starting to look like good value. Plus it owes me a few grand for a set of good tyres and a cheap skate camper conversion in anticipation of a Cape York trip which got scotched by COVID travel restrictions. I only wish I'd looked after the paint work etc rather than treating it as a bush buggy.

·
Administrator
3,713 Posts
I think there's a lot of us that have been in the same position. I bought mine with 205k miles on the clock, a burst rear air spring and running on 7 due to a blown head gasket. Got it sorted, did everything else that fails on a P38 and started using it but at 285k miles it was getting decidedly tired. Question then was do I sell it for not much due to the mileage and strange spec (ex-police special order so headlamp wash wipe, front fogs and climate control but manual cloth seats, 7 x 16 wheels, no cruise control, sunroof, etc.) and put some extra towards it and buy a newer, lower mileage one or spend the money on the engine in what I had. Decided that if I bought another I would only have to do all the jobs I'd already done on mine so stuck with the devil I know and pulled the engine out. That got treated to top hat liners and a full rebuild and is now up to 430k miles and everything still works as it should. When I totalled up what I had spent on it in the 12 years I've owned it, the cost, averaged out over the years, is nothing and I'll still get in it and use it without a second thought. Did two 700 mile round trips last week, both towing a couple of tonnes behind it with nothing more than a check of coolant and oil levels before setting off.

Reactions: Dtoyne

·
Registered
541 Posts
just before you go towing anything Alan ask the engine builder how many km yo should do first , if he done a tight build it could be thousands of kms before he recommends you tow something heavy?

happy motoring :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts