RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with deleting the cats from their exhaust in the P38s. I plan to cut out the whole cat and just re connect with pipe, any loss of torque? Or maybe fuel mileage gains?

Thanks

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
I've gutted the cats in mine so I still have the boxes but there's nothing in them. Seemed to make no noticeable difference to power, fuel consumption or noise (which is a shame as I did it to make it slightly louder). However, UK spec cars only have pre-cat O2 sensors that measure before the cat so it will make no difference if they are there or not but a US car will have pre and post-cat O2 sensors so the post-cats may flag an error.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You can remove the cats on any car so long as the emissions pass.
There is no requirement for a car to have a cat to pass the mot.
However, cars that are designed to have cats to meet emissions are unlikely to pass mot without one( or two in our case!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is over 15 years old so it does not have to be plugged in any longer to test emissions, I just wanted to see if anyone noticed any differences driving wise but thank you

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I have done motor swaps and the customer didnt want a cat in the exhaust system, their call. I have noticed that about half of them end up getting one installed after some driving though. The cat will take out some of the stink of burnt fuel, especially when in an open top rig.
I know what your saying about the 15yr old deal, but check with the state etc before pulling them off.
If they are still in good shape, there is absolutely no reason to remove them. It will cost you MORE to remove good ones than keep them, so why bother?
The ecm can be set for a different market that didnt require rear o2 sensors, so there is that to consider too if you don't have the kit to do it yourself.
Modern cats flow well enough to not justify their removal in my experience. And if they are bad, 99% of the time a universal one can be fitted for a very reasonable cost.

Martin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Leftlanetruckin, can you recommend any cat that works good and lasts? Is it worth it to get anything else than genuine?

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can remove the cats on any car so long as the emissions pass.
There is no requirement for a car to have a cat to pass the mot.
However, cars that are designed to have cats to meet emissions are unlikely to pass mot without one( or two in our case!)
Fairly sure here in the UK now, if a car originally came with cat(s), it must have them fitted when presented for an MOT. Whether or not there is any catalytic material inside or not, and it passes anyway (say, on LPG)... whose to know?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Leftlanetruckin, can you recommend any cat that works good and lasts? Is it worth it to get anything else than genuine?
I am in the USA, so it wouldn't be too relevant anyways, but no I cant recommend any in particular. My local exhaust shop has universal ones on his shelf, and they have yet to let me down.
Pretty much all the muffler/silencer manufacturers now make cats too, so a name brand in muffler should be a safe bet for a cat.

Martin

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Fairly sure here in the UK now, if a car originally came with cat(s), it must have them fitted when presented for an MOT. Whether or not there is any catalytic material inside or not, and it passes anyway (say, on LPG)... whose to know?
Why do you think I gutted mine and left the empty boxes in place rather than replacing them with a bit of tube.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts