RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting off the phone with a customer service representative at British Atlantic, he reminded me that the 4.4L Jaguar engines were also used in some Ford models. After reading the Wikipedia article on the AJ-V8 engine, I see that the same engine was also used in the Lincoln LS, as well as an Aston Martin Vantage.

Does anyone have any experience with sourcing parts for those models for Range Rover HSE use? I'm currently trying to find a fuel rail for use and was pleasantly surprised to see, after talking to an O'Reilly's customer service representative and searching in the computer, that there may be some applicability with some Ford (fuel rail) aftermarket parts.

I remember reading the many, many threads related to transmission oil use and using some of the Ford and Mercury oils related to the same engines, but haven't heard much about other accessories, parts, etc... Any advice, thoughts?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Did you not google this? Just curious... New they're pricey via my search plenty on ebay for under $100 if you're looking for just the rails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I not Google what? Did you not pass reading comprehension in primary school?

Ok, aside from both being dicks to each other... <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>

The subject of this post is "4.4L Jaguar AJ-V8 engine compatibility" with Ford, Lincoln, Aston Martin engines. That's it. There it is. I'm wondering about sourcing parts in general. Nothing specific. Perhaps I should have clarified.

And since we're on the subject, broadly speaking, there are little to no fuel rails for a 4.4L 2008 HSE, unless I missed them in my searches that spanned over an hour total. Maybe you can post a link to the ones you're talking about?

Anyway, again, I'm wondering if people have had any success finding parts that are labeled for the various other models that have used the AJ-V8 engine and found them to be adequate. Cheers.

Edit: I see that you're living in the UK. My guess is that you did a ebay UK search, which I haven't done yet. I'm going to do that right now. I should have thought of that from the get-go. Duh. Mucho gracias senior, from your more westerly brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I assume you're asking about cross capability on the bases you cannot source the genuine parts. Which is why I asked if you had even bothered looking because they're widely available. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry that triggered you. As for cross sourcing yes, unless no. I hope that was helpful. Also I'm from the US.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what you mean by they're widely available. Are you talking about fuel rails? Or something else? If you're talking about rails, I don't see any for sale other than dealership and a couple of others that are still a little pricey compared to the, presumably, salvaged ones of differing years and models. Do you have a/some link/s? I've found fuel rails from older models, such as 2004 4.2L RRs and a few others, but none that fit a 2008 V8 4.4L. There are none in the UK eBay either from what I'm seeing. I'm curious as to where and what you're searching to find plenty of them.
Either way, more to the point, what is or is not compatible with and among the various models of the XJ-V8 engine? It's a legitimate question and post for the forums. Could save a lot of money and time for people. I haven't seen anything in the forums about that, but I may have missed those posts. If so, I can delete this if anyone has any objections and could possibly link those discussions.
And no worries, you didn't "trigger" me, if anything my post must have "triggered" you somehow..? ;p The whole "didn't you google it" reply is often a reply of condescension and haughtiness of sorts, but I must have taken it wrong. No worries man!
Reading the Wikipedia article on the XJ-V8 engine shows that there are numerous different builds. Therefore, a lot of parts would not be compatible. Though, it's my guess that a lot would fit, too, as I'd imagine any engineer worth their salt would at least attempt to make universal parts for not only their specific brand, but - of course - the same engine, regardless of displacement, boring, etc... within reason.
More specifically and for example, according to the 4.4L entry in Wikipedia under the XJ-V8 page, the same engine was used in the 2005-2009 Discovery 3 / LR3, the Range Rover Sport, and the Range Rover. So, logically, someone would likely be able to use many different parts, if not nearly all, among the three, but that doesn't necessarily jive with my experience looking for parts. Contrasting that with, say, the Aston Martin Vantage engine, which was/is a 4.3 or 4.7L XJ-V8 engine (same engine as used in Land Rovers, different build), I'd imagine fewer parts would be compatible compared to an LR3 engine, while some still would be, possibly, as they're both XJ-V8s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Roverland parts has them used $460.00. New from others starting at $1500.00 (Britcar).
My Jag has the same block. But block only. This true on the others you have mentioned. But bits on the blocks are different. (Jag,LR,LS) The Jag owners use LS tensioners (cheaper, and same part). Each brand takes the block and makes it there own.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by they're widely available. Are you talking about fuel rails? Or something else? If you're talking about rails, I don't see any for sale other than dealership and a couple of others that are still a little pricey compared to the, presumably, salvaged ones of differing years and models. Do you have a/some link/s? I've found fuel rails from older models, such as 2004 4.2L RRs and a few others, but none that fit a 2008 V8 4.4L. There are none in the UK eBay either from what I'm seeing. I'm curious as to where and what you're searching to find plenty of them.
Either way, more to the point, what is or is not compatible with and among the various models of the XJ-V8 engine? It's a legitimate question and post for the forums. Could save a lot of money and time for people. I haven't seen anything in the forums about that, but I may have missed those posts. If so, I can delete this if anyone has any objections and could possibly link those discussions.
And no worries, you didn't "trigger" me, if anything my post must have "triggered" you somehow..? ;p The whole "didn't you google it" reply is often a reply of condescension and haughtiness of sorts, but I must have taken it wrong. No worries man!
Reading the Wikipedia article on the XJ-V8 engine shows that there are numerous different builds. Therefore, a lot of parts would not be compatible. Though, it's my guess that a lot would fit, too, as I'd imagine any engineer worth their salt would at least attempt to make universal parts for not only their specific brand, but - of course - the same engine, regardless of displacement, boring, etc... within reason.
More specifically and for example, according to the 4.4L entry in Wikipedia under the XJ-V8 page, the same engine was used in the 2005-2009 Discovery 3 / LR3, the Range Rover Sport, and the Range Rover. So, logically, someone would likely be able to use many different parts, if not nearly all, among the three, but that doesn't necessarily jive with my experience looking for parts. Contrasting that with, say, the Aston Martin Vantage engine, which was/is a 4.3 or 4.7L XJ-V8 engine (same engine as used in Land Rovers, different build), I'd imagine fewer parts would be compatible compared to an LR3 engine, while some still would be, possibly, as they're both XJ-V8s.
Try harder with google. The parts look roughly the same side by side (as I searched this again for you) but the quality seems off. If someone hasn't done this before and can't confirm that parts are interchangeable you may run into brackets being slightly off which I suppose is an easy enough fix. Maybe someone who has purchased these parts for a different car even though the genuine parts are available will chime in.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Search by part number (LR002489) it fits a range of lr3 sport and full size as the engine is essentially identical.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Also what is exactly wrong with your fuel rail where it needs replacement? I'm looking at a fuel rail off my supercharged mustang and it's looking like roughly a exact match to my supercharged range, tho I don't think the supercharged is the same as the 4.4 rail. What is going on with the rail itself where it needs replacement? Like MarkinMain I found some in the 450 ball park (a couple for $199 but out of stock, you could call to confirm), but most are running 1000-2000 given they come with the injectors and all that. again not trying to be a jerk at all to you, would def like to help out if I can.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Search by part number (LR002489) it fits a range of lr3 sport and full size as the engine is essentially identical.
Brad 4.4 has a different fuel rail than 4.2 engine?
i replaced fuel pressure sensor on mine 4.2 its a very easy 10 min job if you don’t know ehat a screwdriver is 15 min if work.
On range rover to many parts are interchangeable i am using air filter from toureg exact fit like air conditioner filter. But air conditioner filter from x5
injectors i think from ford like fuel pressure sensor
the old one has a big ford logo

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Brad 4.4 has a different fuel rail than 4.2 engine?
i replaced fuel pressure sensor on mine 4.2 its a very easy 10 min job if you don’t know ehat a screwdriver is 15 min if work.
On range rover to many parts are interchangeable i am using air filter from toureg exact fit like air conditioner filter. But air conditioner filter from x5
injectors i think from ford like fuel pressure sensor
the old one has a big ford logo
According to the LR parts catalog the rails for the supercharged are different, either because they're using different injectors or it's bracket arrangement has to articulate around the extra blower bits. Tho... maybe it works just fine. The rail for his 4.4 is shared by lr3/full size/sport that have the 4.4... I looked up the lincoln LS rails and it doesn't seem like that'll work given their brackets look off. Tho again... maybe they do work, very difficult to tell. I see where he's coming from with the whole price point of these things taken into account. Maybe see if autozone/cap/etc can source some of these other rails and if they don't fit, just return em... Again, unless someone else on the forum has interchanged these parts who can help but that seems doubtful. It's also possible there are some performance rails that'll cross platform but you're going to end up paying a premium for those anyway. Best I see is 500ish shipped for new bare rails.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What it wrong with your current fuel rail?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What it wrong with your current fuel rail?
I'm told by the shady mechanic that the pressure regulator is leaking. From what I've gathered it can't be serviced and the whole rail must be replaced to fix, which one CSR at Atlantic British verified. Granted and in their defense, I have been smelling fuel since purchasing, so there is something going on there, but if it just happens to be one of the dang most expensive parts is another story. They've quoted $~3500 for a new fuel rail from the dealership and, as we've seen, they're ~$2000 from multiple sites/genuine/official sources, if not much less used.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to look myself. I took it in on an unrelated matter and it came back with the check engine light on, the front air suspension not even working anymore, and the fuel rail pressure regulator needing replaced. I'm finding that a lot of shops, it seems, see dollar signs when someone pulls in with a Land Rover, thinking we're all wealthy money-bags or something with no brains. Aggravating. Goes to show how much people love money more than basic humanity and good business practices that will make more money in the long run. I won't be going back to that shop, that's for sure!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try harder with google. The parts look roughly the same side by side (as I searched this again for you) but the quality seems off. If someone hasn't done this before and can't confirm that parts are interchangeable you may run into brackets being slightly off which I suppose is an easy enough fix. Maybe someone who has purchased these parts for a different car even though the genuine parts are available will chime in.

Yeah, I've actually done that fairly extensively. I posted another thread a day or two before this one that was specifically about the fuel rail (and air suspension) and found the roverlandparts ~$500 rail, along with a few others. You may have seen that thread before this one and didn't realize that I started that one, too. Part of the reason I wanted to separate the two threads.

You'd probably be surprised how much I've googled and more. I understand the frustration when people come to forums and ask questions that can be easily googled, but that's not me, at least with respect to this subject! In my ~25 years on the internet I've found that some people just want social interaction. :/ Which, again, isn't necessarily me, either, ha!

You said in your first reply that you found quite a few on eBay. I haven't seen any, but may have missed 'em. Do you still see those by chance? Don't feel obligated to look if you're busy and what not, just wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After getting off the phone with a customer service representative at British Atlantic, he reminded me that the 4.4L Jaguar engines were also used in some Ford models. After reading the Wikipedia article on the AJ-V8 engine, I see that the same engine was also used in the Lincoln LS, as well as an Aston Martin Vantage.

Does anyone have any experience with sourcing parts for those models for Range Rover HSE use? I'm currently trying to find a fuel rail for use and was pleasantly surprised to see, after talking to an O'Reilly's customer service representative and searching in the computer, that there may be some applicability with some Ford (fuel rail) aftermarket parts.

I remember reading the many, many threads related to transmission oil use and using some of the Ford and Mercury oils related to the same engines, but haven't heard much about other accessories, parts, etc... Any advice, thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts