RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of timing chains guide replacement. I ran into an issue with tdc. I rotated the crank to tdc and put the pin in the fly wheel. When tring to install the timing blocks the lobes aren’t facing up with the cylinder markings. So I read to rotate crank another full revolution after marking the sprocket location. But when I tried to rotate the crank the cams didn’t rotate with the crank. The broken guide still in place. I then tried to put the chain tensioner tool in position to tighten the chain it then started to rotate the chain and cams but cams stopped again and only the crank turned. So I’m stuck tring to get tdc on the cams because the chain isn’t in position and the crank turned past where I think I should be.

How do I align the cam lobes back at tdc if the crank isnt matching due to no chain tension on the whole rotation?

·
Registered
346 Posts
As you are taking off the chains and redoing the timing guides don't worry about the exact instructions. For your job - Set the crank mark at 45 degrees. Remove and replace everything and when you are ready to set timing then pin the crank and set the timing blocks. As your cams bolts will not be tightened they will free wheel for you to get the blocks on correctly. Timing will be correct as the Crank is pinned and both blocks are on (cam lobes with letters facing up).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts