RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed the water pump on my 4.4 04 plate Range Rover, can anyone advise if there is a correct bleeding procedure for the system.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,375 Posts
From the Workshop Manual :

Remove bleed screw from expansion tank

Fill cooling system, keeping coolant to neck of expansion tank until a steady stream of coolant is emitted from bleed screw hole. Fit and tighten bleed screw

Fit coolant expansion tank cap

Phil

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its sounds that simple, but for me, that didn't really work as easy as it sounds.

When you do fill it, it'll fill pretty quickly, then slow right down half way through. I found that I had to be really really patient with it. Fill the neck, then let that slowly sink down. When you're doing so, there will be bubbles and fluid coming out of the bleed screw. I got to the point where the marker guage was waaaaaaaay above the max marker, and fluid was coming out of the bleed hole .... basically too much fluid in the system, and that was following the above instructions.

To counter this, I started the engine, let the fluid flow out of the bleed screw until the marker level drifted back down to normal. Then closed the bleed screw and put the cap back on and let the engine get upto temp. After it cooled back down, I then re-checked the levels , gave it a tiny top up, and since then its been perfect.

Personally, I think its very important that once you've filled it, you don't walk away with it filled above the MAX marker thinking "it'll be fine as there is more in there than I need". If you do need to get fluid back out, then opening the bleed screw is a good way to get the level to drop in a controlled manner .... just make sure thats done when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually the RAVE CD tells about draining cooling system and refill. You have to remove under tray and there is the radiator drain plug to which you have to connect a tube and drain the coolant. Then refill and bleed through the expansion tank bleed screw.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
My experience has been that after filling and driving for a day or two, you will get a message that the system is low, and required a top off. Even after dealer service.

Remember to use the BMW blue coolant.

Mark.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
148 Posts
Actually the RAVE CD tells about draining cooling system and refill. You have to remove under tray and there is the radiator drain plug to which you have to connect a tube and drain the coolant. Then refill and bleed through the expansion tank bleed screw.
After tediously removing and replacing the bottom tray, I discovered it was possible to put my arm in beside the road wheel and undo the radiator drain plug by hand. I fitted a short piece of rubber hose to the drain spout and fed it down through the holes in the chassis/tray to facilitate future radiator service.

PS: In Australia, use Penrite Green 7 Year long life

1 - 6 of 6 Posts