RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change the wheel bearing on the front NS of my 2006 L322 4.2 SC. Thinking I will buy a second hand hub/knuckle assembly and then make the tools I need to support the assembly whilst I swap the bearing. Then just a simple case of swapping the assembly on the car afterwards.

Does anyone know if all the hub/knuckle assemblies are the same on the L322's?

Rob

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
They are supposed to be all the same from 03 thru 09 right side hub is RUB500141 an Lefts side is RUB500151 on the front. The Right side lists at $393 the Left side Lists at $535 from a Land Rover Dealership (Land Rover Palm Beach).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Process is in Rave under Front Suspension - "Hub" and "Bearings-hub". Give it a look as it will help you figure out your strategy.

I had a bear of a time pushing out my CV - but learned a trick from my mechanic - he hit it with an air hammer and it came right out.

Looking at the process it needs a couple Rover special tools. Most can be worked around. One of them I don't understand and without having the unit in my hands is hard to tell what the work around would be ("Bearings - hub, Step 5). Maybe you can use a three jaw puller from the other side and pull rather than push the drive flange.

Regardless the assembly has to come out and then a new bearing pressed in - so really all you need is a bearing. Not sure if buying a used unit will save much time other than being able to just swap the unit out with little down time.

I am sure others will chime in with actual experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the commonality info.

I can pick up a second hand hub for £35 for diesel, but they want more for a part removed from an SC. If they are the same I can go for cheaper one.

My aim is to have the part in my hand to be able to make the tooling I need to change the bearing (and to allow me to blast and paint it before reassembly), then install the new bearing meaning the swap on the car should be swift.

I had to change the CV joint on the front drive shafts and I wasn't surprised when they were in solid. Air chisel wouldn't touch them. I made tool, mounted off the wheel studs with a threaded bar down the middle to apply load, and still needed extreme persuasion on the CV with chisel and "fine adjusting hammer" (i.e. lump hammer) to get them free.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
In addition to being pressed in the bearings are also retained by a inside diameter c clip that fits in a groove in the hub itself on the outer end of the bearing. Sometimes its just easier to take it to a machine shop with a press and pay them 40 bucks or so to press the old one out and the new one in, unless you plan on using the tools you make to do other peoples bearings. Don't know what something like that would cost in England.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts