RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs:
I blew a heater hose on my 4.2 LWB, and am going to replace ALL the cooling system hoses. I have a few questions regarding the liquids to replenish... :think:

1) my Rover parts supplier suggests redline Water Wetter: Check!

2) my Honda mechanic suggests Zerex anti-freeze, and drinking (NOT distilled) water, mixed 50/50

3) the Zerex website suggests their G-05 type, which comes already mixed 50/50 WITH distilled water (it appears anti-freeze nowadays comes only pre-mixed).

being an engineer, I am suffering from "paralysis by analysis", so I am presenting the issue to you experts in the hope that I might get some pertinent advice as to what to use! :?:

(I never had this question come up when I was running my 1965 corvair!)

My humble Thank You in anticipation of your assistance

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
I wonder if the lack of concentrated coolant is a California thing. I just purchased a couple gallons of concentrated here in Washington. The issue I have with premix is that once you flush your cooling system you will have straight water in your block and heater core. By introducing premix you will no longer be at the 50/50 ratio. You also can not adjust your ratio for more extreme climates.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you have the plastic heater valve on top of the LH side rocker cover i would replace that too.

Not sure about the drinking water in your part of the world but i would only use demineralised water.

I also start with concentrate. Have no problems buying it here.

Important to flush out all you old coolant and start a fresh and write down what you use in case you need to top it up a year or so down the track. Mixing coolants can build in nasty long term problems with electrolytic corrosion.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts
you should only use distilled water. Water Wetter didnt do much good in my Defender, I figure it cant hurt go for it. In my Classic I used a whole container of the green antifreeze water wetter and topped up with distilled water. I have a recored radiator a 180 thermostat and with the VDO gauge I sit on the 180 mark or a hair below, with the infrared gauge I am between 180 and 187.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts