Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've suddenly developed a new issue today, I noticed a few drops of oil on the driveway (which I've not had for months now since I tightened up the rocker covers) when I moved the car earlier, so when I got home I popped the bonnet to have a look and noticed that the top coolant hose was swollen. I opened the resiviour cap slightly and the pressure dropped and the hose returned to normal.
I've not had any overheating issues and only last week I was checking the oil levels and happy to see the oil filler cap completely clean, so no signs of oil and water mixing. I do occasionally still lose 0.5cm of coolant every few hundred miles, but I just can't trace where from.
I'd cleaned up the coolant lines to the heater core and LPG vapouriser back in October/November time and everything has been fine since.

It's odd to have found an oil leak (although only small) and this coolant pressure issue suddenly with no changes.

What other possible causes are there for this?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Weak hose? Get it hot so it is pressurised, then leave it until it has cooled down. If you can take the pressure cap off and there is no pressure once it has cooled, then it is solely thermal expansion of the coolant and is normal. If there is still pressure there once it has cooled down, then something other than expansion is pressurising the system. It could be a head gasket, it could be a tiny internal leak in the LPG vaporiser allowing gas to get into the cooling system. You won't get coolant and oil mixing with a blown head gasket but you will get rough running. Often when started from cold it will fire up on 7 with the last one kicking in a few seconds later.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts
I would replace the radiator hoses and also run block test looking for hydrocarbons maybe toss in a bottle of K seal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally had some time to check this out properly, after the engine has cooled the hose is almost back to normal and if I open the reservoir cap there is only a small hiss, which I don't think is too far from normal.

The engine seems to run fine, so I hope it's nothing more serious. What is the easiest way to check for LPG leaking through the vaporiser?

I've got the top hose to replace here, I had the aux belt off (to be replaced too) earlier and moved the AC compressor to look around as there is still a bit of coolant from under the throttle body heater even though I replaced that recently. It seems the old hoses and the horrible jubilee clips are letting some coolant out onto the rocker covers... I've looked around but I can't find the part number for the inlet hose from the engine to the throttle body heater - does anyone know what it is? I can't find the part on online anywhere. I know I could bypass it, but if I'm replacing other hoses anyway and I know the heater plate itself is new, I'll probably just keep it connected with new hoses and spring clips.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
What is the easiest way to check for LPG leaking through the vaporiser?
Run on petrol to get it hot, then let it cool down. If no pressure at all, then LPG is leaking into the cooling system, if the same as when run on LPG, then it isn't. But with a leaking throttle body heater air will be getting in which will expand far more than coolant so that could easily explain the little hiss.
I've looked around but I can't find the part number for the inlet hose from the engine to the throttle body heater - does anyone know what it is? I can't find the part on online anywhere.
ERR7268 for GEMS, or PEH101540 for Thor. Not easy to get hold of although Allbrit.de list a Britpart item so the usual suspects should be able to supply them. Alternatively, do what I have done on both mine and a couple of other cars, get yourself a length of 8mm ID silicone heater hose and use that. Don't use fuel hose as it goes brittle with the hot coolant and will leak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would replace the radiator hoses and also run block test looking for hydrocarbons maybe toss in a bottle of K seal
Do not ever use k seal it will cause more problems in other parts of the system, esp the heater core. fix the issue rather than bodge it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Run on petrol to get it hot, then let it cool down. If no pressure at all, then LPG is leaking into the cooling system, if the same as when run on LPG, then it isn't. But with a leaking throttle body heater air will be getting in which will expand far more than coolant so that could easily explain the little hiss.
ERR7268 for GEMS, or PEH101540 for Thor. Not easy to get hold of although Allbrit.de list a Britpart item so the usual suspects should be able to supply them. Alternatively, do what I have done on both mine and a couple of other cars, get yourself a length of 8mm ID silicone heater hose and use that. Don't use fuel hose as it goes brittle with the hot coolant and will leak.
Thanks Richard!

Duh... I was too busy thinking about potential problems to think of the obvious! Of course, just don't run on gas for a drive...
Yeah, until I swap the hoses I won't know for sure on any pressure getting into the coolant system, as you say air is likely getting in. It looks like when the top main hose is expanding that is leaking at the ends too a bit, as I can see coolant traces below. Hopefully it's just a matter of some old hoses and once swapped things will be fine.

Thanks! I couldn't find the part number or the hose anywhere yesterday. Now I know the ID, I've just orders a length of silicone hose and some spring clips.

Do not ever use k seal it will cause more problems in other parts of the system, esp the heater core. fix the issue rather than bodge it.
Thanks Gary, I have never used K seal and don't plan to. I admit it's a tempting thought sometimes for a quick fix, but as you say, I'd rather fix the issue properly. :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
FWIW K seal is a great sealant for leaking coolant systems , it starts working straight away,
and after about a week the remains will fall out of suspension and then become dormant.
Its also recommended by Subaru after head gaskets have been changed to add a bottle of K seal.
adding K seal to rover engine could be the difference between a cracked block due to overheating ,
and one that continues to run properly.
Of course once the cylinder wall cracks its time for new O ringed liners

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I have a feeling that the K seal you get in the US is different to what we get in the UK. The stuff here is a copper coloured paste suspended in a liquid which clogs heater matrix's, radiators and ends up as a copper coloured slime in the header tank. It's the first thing you look for if looking at a potential purchase, copper coloured slime in the header tank means you walk away very quickly. Adding K seal is more likely to cause an overheat than have any beneficial affect.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
might be time to read the MSDS report

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hose eventually turned up today and it's not as described! It is 8mm ID, but the OD is far too thick, it won't fit easily around the AC compressor, plus I don't have the right size spring clips for it now! :LOL:

Anyway, I was thinking if I order some more, I may as well replace the return line to the reservoir, as although it looks fine, I may as well swap it anyway! Is there a reason for it being plastic? Or should I just use a length of 8mm ID silicone/rubber too?
I noticed when I searched for the part (PCH000330) that people seem to think it doesn't fit a Thor anyway, although that is listed as a part for 94-02...

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Don't tell me, you ordered 8mm ID single ply from ASH and they sent 8mm ID 3 ply which is about twice as thick? I used it to replace the full length of the throttle body to reservoir, radiator overflow to reservoir and a short length on the inlet manifold to throttle body. I bought 10 feet of single ply some time ago but whenever I've tried to order any more, I'm told it's out of stock and they've offered me 3 ply instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, spot on Richard! I bought it on ebay from ASH the other day. They have actually been awful to deal with, possibly my worst experience on ebay to date, they got aggressive when I asked them to confirm dispatch times and availability, when it still hadn't been dispatched 2 days after it was meant to be. They eventually dispatched it last night and it arrived today as a 3 ply hose, not matching any of the photos or OD size in the description! I'm not sure what it's like on a GEMS but with the Thor the hose runs between the AC compressor and inlet manifold/throttle body, the 3 ply wouldn't even fit... :LOL:

That's good to know! My radiator overflow has already been replaced, I'll order a length from someone else and replace both of the throttle body lines with it :)

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
On the GEMS I had to route it behind the alternator rather than under it but other than that it was OK. Biggest problem is finding another supplier. I did find another company that listed an 8mm ID single ply silicone hose but had a look last night and couldn't find them and it seems I didn't bookmark them either (or did but couldn't find them amongst the hundreds or other useful websites I've got bookmarked). A shame because it is such useful stuff so if you do find someone, I'd be happy to hear who they are, I'd probably buy a drum of the stuff!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is the problem... I've had a good look around this afternoon and all I can find is more 3 ply stuff... I've given in and ordered a length of rubber coolant hose for now. Not ideal, but better than nothing! The piece from the throttle body inlet to the engine basically crumbled in my hand yesterday, so I just need to just get something on there for now.
I know that feeling of too many bookmarks to find anything again! :LOL:
If I find somewhere else selling it, I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bypass the throttle body heater. Not really needed in UK.

Alternatively, get some decent 8mm nylon airline, and make up a replacement tube from that. Then two wirt silicone or rubber hoses at each like LR did in the first place ?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts