RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

Could I ask for some opinions from you learned people. I am looking to purchase a P38 in the not to distant future. I have owned a RR classic in the past and had some very enjoyable times in her.

Which of the engines do any of you consider to be better?! I'm not talking about power and performance but in terms of reliability. I have heard from some other classic owners that Land Rover went to far when they stoked to 3.9 to 4.6 and that it is less 'refined'.

I would love to hear peoples opinions.

Thanks

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
4.6 is nice with the extra power, pretty relible, has a bad rep like the 4.2 because it requires people to look after. If a 4.6 has had a oil change done every 3,000 and the coolant is fresh and at the propper level you should have a thing to worry about. I personaly like the 4.0 but I rarely go faster than 60mph in my daily driving so the power makes no difference to me. I prefer to find P38's that dont have aftermarket wheels on it, they are the biggest tell tell sign of lacking maintence. Also keep the EAS. Figure $500 to rebuild it with new bags. Far cheaper than a coil conversion, safer as well.

When buying a used P38 figure a EAS rebuild and replacing the a/c blend doors. Do a complete fluid flush, there is no telling how long its been, don't skimp on the fluids. Valvoline VR1 for the engine. DOT 4 brake fluid.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Had both, I will never drive a 4.0 again. Sorry mates, to big of a difference. sad part, its still slow, But I rather be a turtle than a snail.

Honestly, either way, whichever you buy, even being drop off a cliff, you are not going to break any speed records.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
The 4.0 is a total dog. Let me be clear.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Jas.

I wouldn't look at either, unless it's the 2.5ltr BMW Turbo Diesel model ! Pick up a copy of the "Dog and Lemon guide" which explains the truth to the enth degree ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Kind of depends on where you are, as far as options available doesn't it?
As for reliability, the 4.0 and the 4.6 are about the same. If in the USA, go for the 4.6 HSE and be done with it.
I never had a blend motor go until I hit 198k miles myself, and then it was just the one. I also use Castrol and never had an issue, and I have been driving a lot longer than some ;)
Let us know where you are in the world, and that will allow the people in that country to recommend the best motor for your needs.
Also be careful about who's advise you take when making a decision. Believe it or not, there are folks that don't have the experience they may "appear" to have. Get at least 4 people saying the same thing to be safe before spending your hard earned :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
400 Posts
The 4.0 is a total dog. Let me be clear.
Mines no dog, but it is a "Rover" `)

Mac

·
Registered
407 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Also be careful about who's advise you take when making a decision. Believe it or not, there are folks that don't have the experience they may "appear" to have. Get at least 4 people saying the same thing to be safe before spending your hard earned :thumb:

Martin

:dance: :clap: :dance: :clap:

This should apply to life in general.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I own a 1999 4.0 Pretty slow acelerating especially with a/c on towing the boat. If all else being equal go for 4.6.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Over the last couple of years, I've driven a diesel as wall as both a 4.0 and 4.6 as daily driver and towcar.
First one was the diesel (manual), nice for cruising, slow off the start, didn't really like the character of the BMW engine compared to the TD5.
The 4.6 auto came with a tired engine, but still a big step forward. Really enjoyed it. Even more so after a top end rebuild with Torquemax camshaft.
Next was a 4.0 manual. Although the engine also needed some work, it did feel livelier due to the manual gearbox. The difference in power and economy was very noticeable when towing a loaded cartrailer.
Intermittently I briefly drove a DSE auto, not my thing.
Early this year I finally carried out my "evil plan" and swapped the engines, giving the 4.0 a top end rebuild and Torquemax while at it. So now we have a 4.0 auto (GF daily) and a 4.6 manual (my daily). Both are used on the same roads and with the same trailer. The 4.6 is obviously more powerfull and the manual more fun to drive (our opinion at least).
But both are well up to their task, the difference in performance as neglectable in normal use and economy is the same (17-18l/100km).
If you have the choice, go for the 4.6. Usually, the 4.6 are better equiped as well.
But I would prefer a well maintained 4.0 to a tired 4.6, also taking into account the price and how much work you're willing to do on the car.
One good reason to go for a 4.0 is the manual gearbox, which was never available with the 4.6. But again, that's personal preference.
Given good maintenance, there's no reason to believe one or the other should be more reliable.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
701 Posts
The 4.0 really is a DOG, but its been a good little engine for me :). I remember when someone was in the car with me and I kinda cursed at how slow it was under my breath. My friend said "well thats not bad for a V6". Then I told them it was a V8 and then I saw the same look I got from my other friend when I told them how much it was to fill up last time! :) AHHHH Land Rovers...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Swmbo's DII has a 4.6, if I'm following her somewhere, I'd better already know the way, because I can't keep up. Granted she drives like a maniac, but I try to hang, just can't. Iv e got new injectors as well, which gave a good boost, still not enough....

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
491 Posts
According to my brother, who now lives in Illinois, "there ain't no replacement for displacement". Says it all really.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Garvin said:
According to my brother, who now lives in Illinois, "there ain't no replacement for displacement". Says it all really.

:clap:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I've had both, and can honeslty say the 4.6 was far better, the fuel consumption was probably 2-3mpg better on the 4.6 and there is a noticable difference in power not massive but it is there.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts