RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My family has a 2001 Range Rover and I am wondering if there are options to add an extra 2 seats? I have read/seen some other threads about it but I cannot find anything that really sticks out. Most people say that the seats are for kids/dwarfs, but what would happen if you took the spare tire out of the back and stored in somewhere else? Would that not create more room?
My family and I would like to do more off-roading, and there are a ton of places where I live, but the only problem is that there are 7 of us. So, we are really looking for some kind of solution. I emailed several companies (Atlantic British, Green Oval British, PDX British, Rovin' Rovers, Lamorna Garage, etc.) and some of them have gotten back to me and told me that they either did not have something for that or they suggest buying a LR3/4 or a Disco. Our family is attached to our RR, and we are NOT selling it. I have also emailed Overfinch because I have heard that they used to make jump seats for Range Rover.
What do y'all suggest to do? Would it be possible to just drill/mount two jump seats into the back along with the seatbelts? Is rear facing, front facing, or side facing better for the seats? I am leaning towards the side facing.

Thank you all in advance!

Thanks,
Pulaski

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Nope. The option that did exist was ridiculously over priced for rear facing seat which puts the kids heads right at the back glass.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
Depending on the rules regarding seats and seatbelts in your area, couldn't you adapt a pair of sideways facing rear seats from a Discovery? Alternatively, fit a roof rack and strap two kids to that......

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Overfinch did not make jump seats, they made a skinny bench seat for both the P38 and L322 first gen.

Washington child seat rules are very specific. Children under 40 pounds must be in an approved child seat. Children over 40 pounds must be in an approved forward facing booster seat until age 8 or until they reach 4'9". Children under 13 must be in the back seat with appropriate seat belts or shoulder harnesses.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
why do you want to take 7 people off road?, this simply adds a higher level of calamity if things were to go wrong. I/E about 10 yrs ago a friend of mine has his 5yr old strapped in a child seat while off road, the road/path shoulder gave way and the truck rolled on it's side with the kid trapped inside. it was the last time he took his kid off road.

when off road, having gear and people adds lots of weight which can be the difference between crossing a gulley or getting hung, or staying up right on an off camber situation.
I'm not saying do not off road, enjoy your truck by all means.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’ve just carried out exactly this conversion to a friends’ P38 2.5 DSE in the UK.
We purchased a seat c/w lap type seat belts (Land Rover Defender 90) in grey and fitted it as a rear facing unit in the boot.
Spare wheel is removed (forever) and the well floored and carpeted.
We cut the spare wheel cover in half and used a piece to cover up the “foot well” when the seat is not in use – this slides behind the seats when they are occupied.
We peeled the carpet from the other half of the boot floor and used it to cover the framework under the seats so everything looks neat.
The seat and belts are bolted to a substantial frame which sits in the recess at the top edge of the spare wheel well. The frame bolts to the body, and is linked to the chassis.
To aid cooling, the car has had its windows tinted, and for extra escape, we added an internal pull to the rear tailgate lock.
The parcel shelf still fits if needed. Here it is folded up...
IMG-20180806-WA0011.jpg

and here it is being tested (carpeting in the well is not complete in this picture)

IMG-20180806-WA0006.jpg

The insurance company were confused at first as they assumed it was an Overfinch, but Overfinch 2.5 diesels don’t really exist, but eventually they were satisfied.

Its only used occasionally (on road) and it works well - the kids find it comfortable (and a bit of fun)

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
That would never fly over here. If you got stopped with kids in a setup like that it would be a minimum $475 fine with additional penalty assessments. Any subsequent offence is a minimum $1055.

Two reasons right off. He is required to be in a forward facing certified booster seat. She is required to be in a certified full child seat. Child seating and safety is not something to take lightly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
True to a point in the UK I think, however my mate has 4 kids, and the eldest who uses this seat is beyond booster seat age...the kids in the picture were little test subjects
If he puts the "wrong" child on it then i would assume he'd have similar issues as you mention.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Overfinch did not make jump seats, they made a skinny bench seat for both the P38 and L322 first gen.

Washington child seat rules are very specific. Children under 40 pounds must be in an approved child seat. Children over 40 pounds must be in an approved forward facing booster seat until age 8 or until they reach 4'9". Children under 13 must be in the back seat with appropriate seat belts or shoulder harnesses.

RRToadHall,
Thank you for your concern. Most of my kids are over 13. The younger ones are 8 and 11. I have several larger teens that would fit also.

-Pulaski

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depending on the rules regarding seats and seatbelts in your area, couldn't you adapt a pair of sideways facing rear seats from a Discovery? Alternatively, fit a roof rack and strap two kids to that......

Richard G,

I have looked into this. It is not as easily said as done! Since the frames are different, I don't think it will work unfortunately.

Pulaski

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why do you want to take 7 people off road?, this simply adds a higher level of calamity if things were to go wrong. I/E about 10 yrs ago a friend of mine has his 5yr old strapped in a child seat while off road, the road/path shoulder gave way and the truck rolled on it's side with the kid trapped inside. it was the last time he took his kid off road.

when off road, having gear and people adds lots of weight which can be the difference between crossing a gulley or getting hung, or staying up right on an off camber situation.
I'm not saying do not off road, enjoy your truck by all means.

I would like to take my family off-road because I don't want to leave them behind, you know? I only have 1 more person to fit. Plus, my family is always carrying friends around, so extra seats is always good! Also, it is kind of a back up for our main (more reliable) vehicle.

Pulaski

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the input and information. I went ahead a got the Scot Seat Direct option. $1,200 for the whole thing plus shipping. I haven't gotten it installed yet, as I have to wait to hit up a shop. The seat looks great and folds well.

Best Regards,
Gabriel Bozeman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts