RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I inherited my truck and it's likely the worst colour Land Rover offers (White gold = ugly brown) I wanted to try and wrap it with 3M 1080 Vinyl wrap. Has anyone done this? How much would I need? Apparently they come in sheets that are 5ft tall by whatever length you need.

photo(54).jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey! I saw that truck for sale a few months ago, from the pictures it seemed like it was well maintained. Congratz on owning the best SUV on this planet ahahaha. As for the vinyl, it has mixed reviews, however I have heard the 1080 seemed to work out nicely for a lot of people. Keep in mind though the vinyl comes with a much grander price than its competitors as well. As for how much you will need, I asked a similar question not long ago and the response was *275sq/ft*, 300 sq ft to be safe. Are you going to be ordering it online or have it done locally? What color do you have in mind?

Ps. I really don't know why you don't like that color, I would take it over my Zambezi Silver any day. It also resembles the new Ipanema Sand offered on 2010+ L322's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was just going to go with AutoVinyl Solutions. Their prices are the best. I was going to try the matte black, then if all went well maybe one of the metallics down the road.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I am with Boo on this one. If you can, do something outside of Matte Black. Be a man and do PINK! Kidding, kidding. Have you seen the color Bali Blue? If so, try and find something close to that ahahah, you'll see why.

·
Registered
24 Posts
what is the expectancy on life with these wraps.. bubbling and what not?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I know you guys were thinking I should be original with this vinyl wrap idea. I agree, Matte black is overplayed (here's my old truck I sprayed with tractor matte black http://youtu.be/9XRnh8XajzY?hd=1), but for whatever reason it's still new to a lot of people... people with money that buy your used RR!!!

3M JUST came out with a couple new colors (in May I think), since the brushed metal colors were too expensive; $700 compared to $450 for 45ft, I just went with 3M 1080 SATIN BLACK since I really just need to give me truck the boost it needs to get sold.

I ordered it from Autovinyl Solutions last week, so I should have it installed by weeks end! I'll keep you posted. Here is the ONLY video I could find of the 3M Satin Black, there's a bunch of the Oracle Satin Black, but not of the 3M yet.
http://youtu.be/xekZ_D0o8VY?hd=1

To answer another question, looks like a life expectancy of 5-7 years for this stuff.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine's wrapped in their matte silver. Used about 50'. I acquired the 2010 side grills and the aftermarket front grill along with 2009 S/C taillights. I painted the grills matte silver with gloss black mesh and then painted the lettering gloss black.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks awesome! Did you wrap it or get it done? So that's 3m 1080? Finally, were the door handles taken off... I really really don't want to take the door handles off. It doesn't sound like you "de-badged" your truck either, did you take all the emblems off or just cut around them?

The new side vents really make our old school RR's pop! Boo's are painted white on his white RR and it's a stunner too.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
I actually referenced Flatlined 's earlier postings in order to be certain my 295/35/24 tires would work. Again -thanks.

As for the wrap:
--you are DEFINITELY going to have to take the lettering off. It's really not that difficult, just buy the kit from PowerfulUK, it's very simple and works extremely well.
--As for the door handles, I don't think you'll HAVE to take them off. Should be able to work around those, but it will be somewhat difficult, especially under the handles.
--As for wrapping it yourself -yeah right. Buy 2 feet of it off eBay and try to wrap something around your house with even just a slight curve on it. You'll realize right away that you don't have the skill or the patience to do it.

My vote for color? Matte blue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the wrap:
--you are DEFINITELY going to have to take the lettering off. It's really not that difficult, just buy the kit from PowerfulUK, it's very simple and works extremely well.
--As for the door handles, I don't think you'll HAVE to take them off. Should be able to work around those, but it will be somewhat difficult, especially under the handles.
--As for wrapping it yourself -yeah right. Buy 2 feet of it off eBay and try to wrap something around your house with even just a slight curve on it. You'll realize right away that you don't have the skill or the patience to do it.

My vote for color? Matte blue.
That Matte Blue is AMAZING!! I don't know who made that vinyl, but I wanted to stick with the 3m 1080 because it's supposed to be idiot proof. 3m's version of Matte Blue isn't as sexy though.... it's called a metallic, still cool just not as WOW-worthy as the link you posted.

Also, I think the fact we drive one of the boxiest vehicles on the road... it might work in my favour when trying to wrap this thing!.. maybe!?

Check out this vid... they make it look like the 3m 1080 is cake!

http://youtu.be/dTpsq7ivMD0?hd=1

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's paint since it's on a $700,000 porsche gt. But best of luck to you if you think you can do it!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I *LOVE* that blue!! Now I have to save up my money to pay a professional to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts