RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the 360 degree view of the Surround Camera System on the 2018/19 RR Sport can work while driving in reverse?

We are considering our 1st RR Sport but heard that this option does not work when driving in reverse.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
It definitely does. You can configure it to display the 360 view next to the rear camera when it comes on. It's a tad small but still pretty useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ryan. I actually asked 2 different reps at dealerships about this and both indicated that the 360 view on the SCS does NOT work in reverse. One said it was actually a safety issue. They did not have a car in their immediate inventory to show me the camera for me to test it out on site as it seems to be a somewhat uncommon option to have pre-loaded in cars in inventory. Are you actually able to make the 360 view work while driving in reverse?

I’m not talking about the 360 degree parking aid feature when driving in reverse, but the 360/real Birdseye view from the camera.

If you can do actually use the 360 view of the camera in reverse, how do you configure it?

I may have to go to another dealership that actually has the option in one of their cars to try it out!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
20 Posts
While in reverse, the backup camera will show on the screen, so just click on the settings icon and press on Camera Settings. From there you can show the 360 surround camera.

If you can't see it, then you might not have the 360 camera in your car

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's a picture showing our 2018 RR Sport SVR in reverse, with the reverse camera and the little 360-degree overhead view to the very right of the big rear image. The 360 overhead picture looks terrible in this image because the car is parked in our tight garage.

I changed the camera settings to turn off the [automatic view selection or whatever] setting because I prefer this side-by-side-with-360 camera view to come up all the time. If you press the camera button and the top screen camera image doesn't look like this, e.g., only shows detail to the left and right of the car, then press the 360 icon in the upper-left of the top screen to switch to this view.

Our other cars (Audi, Mercedes) similarly showed the reverse camera image along with the 360 overhead view. It's very useful to park exactly within the parking lines as well as verify rear clearance while backup up.

IMG-3377b.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tankid and Mikey ... thanks so much for your replies ... unfortunately, I did not see Mikey's response until after I came back from another dealership that had the SCS installed in a Supercharged Dynamic 2019 RRS model. During the test drive, when I changed the gear to drive in reverse, the rear view camera image showed up along with the 360 degree parking aid to the right of that image ... just like Mikey's image ... BUT WITHOUT the 360 birdseye view that Mikey's car showed ... I tried to press the 360 view button in the top left of the screen, but it was greyed out and therefore not allowing me to "turn on" the 360 SCS view while the gear was in reverse! The sales guy couldn't tell me why it didn't work and neither could anyone else as it seems no one else has asked for this option in these cars (which perhaps explains why it's been so difficult for me to find any RRS with this option). However, when I put the car in "drive", I could turn on the 360 SCS view by pressing the 360 button in the top left of the screen, which was NOT grey when the gear was shifted to "drive". So, it seemed that only when in "drive" mode, was I able to get the middle image that Mikey's car shows.

That said, it seems pretty clear that some setting in the car I test drove was not set up properly for the 360 view of the SCS to work while in reverse mode ... either that, or Mikey has a car that is not an 2019 or perhaps even 2018 model! Mikey - can you confirm the year of your car?

And, Mikey -- you are right ... having this 360 camera view while driving in reverse is extremely helpful to have. I have seen a 360 camera function this way in a MB GLE 350, which is why we are so keen on getting it installed in any new car we get ... I just don't want to special order this car from Land Rover and then find out that the new version of this option in a RRS does not work in reverse!

I may have to go back to the dealership next weekend to try it again with any specific suggested setting changes you guys can help walk me through. Mikey -- you suggested the following: Change "the camera settings to turn off the [automatic view selection or whatever] setting ..." - how exactly would I do that? Which button do I start with?

You also said, "If you press the camera button and the top screen camera image doesn't look like this, e.g., only shows detail to the left and right of the car, then press the 360 icon in the upper-left of the top screen to switch to this view." I assume the camera button is the 3rd button on the right in the bottom set of buttons? That said, it is interesting how your 360 button in the top left looks greyed out ...

Anyway, that to you guys and anyone else able to provide assistance or further info on this matter!

·
Registered
61 Posts
While any of the cameras are on the screen hit the settings gear icon along the bottom and select the option for camera settings. From there you can configure what shows up on screen along with the rear view camera. I’ve used the feature on both 2017 and 2018 models (including my own) and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if the car you’re driving has the surround view camera system that the option to have the rear view camera alongside the 360 birdseye view can be found within the camera settings menu.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My car is a 2018 RR Sport SVR. The 360 camera icon (the circular arrow loop at the top of the vertical column of icons along the very left side) is greyed out in my picture because it is currently in 360 mode.

As mlb356 said, the Camera Settings is where you can find a few different options for the cameras and the easiest way to get to it is press the Gears icon while any of the camera views is on the top screen. Next press Camera Settings along the right to get to the settings specific to the camera. From there I played with changes to "Default camera view selection" and "Semi-auto camera view". It's the latter one that I had to change to Off to try and keep the 360 camera view availability consistent. It's still not perfect and I sometimes have to explicitly press the 360 icon to get the overhead view after the initial camera display comes up (without it).

IMG-3377b.jpg IMG-3380.JPG IMG-3379.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again, Mikey and also to mlb356 ... you and the other respondents have convinced me that the dealer sales reps I spoke to don't know what they are talking about ... I will try to find another dealership that has the SCS in one of their RR Sport vehicles and test it out based on your instructions/suggestions.

Many thanks to you guys for your help! I will follow up with any questions/updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts