RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to make sure I am correct in my diagnosis. I have been working on swapping in a 300TDi into my 1994RRC and wanted to take it for a spin today. It fired up right away as usual, but when I put it into reverse and slowly let out the clutch, it didn't go anywhere. I tried it a few more times and finally got out and noted that the front driveshaft is spinning. I did notice that the front differential didn't seem to be doing anything when I was putting in the tranny(R380), but I thought, it has 2 and was working before. Did they possibly lock the differential in the transfer case on mine to make it go? Am I correct in assuming that my front differential is toast? Thank you.

Clay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I spent some time reading the owners manual for the Discovery (what my tranny came out of) and I see that I just have to lock the center differential. I still need to replace the front diff ASAP, but at least I can get it out of the garage now.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
22 Posts
yes you are right in assuming that there is something wrong in the drive line. might i ask how you checked that the front drive shaft moves?
if u are sure the problem is in the front diff, open it up and check if its jammed and/or operating correctly, if not open the hubs and have a look at the axles, make sure they're in tact and being driven.
word of caution btw, DO NOT drive with the diff locked, we own a land rover dealership and i cant tell u the amount of defenders we have come in with broken diffs cause they were driven on road with diff lock. (many ppl here do not understand how diff lock works and mistaken it with engaging 4x4)

p.s excuse the grammar, english isnt my first language :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had the transmission out, I noticed that I could spin the front differential input with no resistance. I assumed that this meant that something in the differential was broken, but I guess this could mean that I have a broken axel or something. I went ahead and bought another diff and will be taking the old one out later today. Hopefully it isn't anything else. Then again, having a spare won't kill me.

The only reason I was going to lock the center diff was due to the fact that the front diff wasn't doing anything. When I tried to back the Rover out of the garage, the front driveshaft spun, but I went nowhere. With no resistance from the front, locking the center diff would just make it a 2 wheel drive. OK, 1 wheel drive, but that's all I need to take it around the block.

@classic74
Your grammar is fine by the way. As a matter of fact, it seems better than a lot of native English speaker's grammar that I see from the web public in general.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I had the transmission out, I noticed that I could spin the front differential input with no resistance. I assumed that this meant that something in the differential was broken, but I guess this could mean that I have a broken axel or something. I went ahead and bought another diff and will be taking the old one out later today. Hopefully it isn't anything else. Then again, having a spare won't kill me.

The only reason I was going to lock the center diff was due to the fact that the front diff wasn't doing anything. When I tried to back the Rover out of the garage, the front driveshaft spun, but I went nowhere. With no resistance from the front, locking the center diff would just make it a 2 wheel drive. OK, 1 wheel drive, but that's all I need to take it around the block.

@classic74
Your grammar is fine by the way. As a matter of fact, it seems better than a lot of native English speaker's grammar that I see from the web public in general.
Thanks for explaining your problem in more detail, from what you're saying I'm betting on it having broken axle(s). From what I know, with a broken diff u wouldn't be able to move even with diff lock as broken diffs generally jam up.
Yes i understand, just wanted to warn you about the consequences of diff lock. Better to be safe than sorry :O)
Thank you, I really appreciate the compliment!!
Hope i was able to help in any way?? Do give some feed back on the problem when you investigate further.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it was the passenger side CV joint. I have never seen one grenade like that. I am used to the front drivers where you can look up at it and see what is going on rather than digging deep into the depths of the axle to find the gruesome facts.
IMG_1342.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
woah that's bad!!! :O any idea what might have caused it??
i suspect diff lock to be involved :| and in case you're wondering yes i blame diff lock for most of the bad that can happen to a drive line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would bet the diff lock as well, but I didn't own it when this happened. I only had it a few months before beginning the conversion to diesel. Now that I am looking at the swivel ball, I am going to have to replace it.
IMG_1349.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts