RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a weird starting behavior that I have noticed on my 1998 4.0 with 220,000 on the chassis and 125,000 on the motor and trans. I have observed three different starting personalities and have been trying to track down the different conditions that lead to the each behavior. I believe it it is the time frame between the time I have last started the truck. Below are the following conditions.

5 minutes between last start - The truck feels like it have a low battery and the starter is struggling to turn the engine over.
1 hour between last start - Turns over great with the starter barely turning the engine over and it firing perfectly.
8 hours to overnight between last start - The starter turns engine very freely but stop cranking after 5 seconds and consistently on the 3rd time the engine fires up.

In all cases the truck will start but I am trying to track down this issue because the truck is obviously telling me somethings not right. I have replaced the battery earlier this year and replaced the spark plugs, but not the wires, 2 months ago. I got the truck over a year ago and have just been going through doing maintenance on it. The one area I haven't touched is the fuel system so I was thinking of picking up a fuel filter and perhaps some re-manufactured eBay injectors, just because they probably up for replacement anyway.

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior or have any tips?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
275 Posts
I¨ve tried something similar with my last car - an Alfa Romeo 75 - it was the starter motor - tried fitting another - didn't help - had 4 different fitted - all new, but with various sounds that were not from this planet...

Then I had the original reconditioned - and it worked perfectly....
I would give that some attention - and checking all wires....

keep us posted! Good luck!!!

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
your first and second scenarios sould like a bad cable. Take a look at your power cable and two ground cables and look at their condition. A poor connection is not necessarily always the issue. Instead corrosion builds up between the metal cable and the outer insulation. Look for any wrinkles, swelling or bubbles. I have run into #1&2 several times in old cars I have been restoring or working on. It has almost always been a failed cable.

Scenario #3 sounds like a failing fuel pump or pressure regulator.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Scenario #3 sounds like a failing fuel pump or pressure regulator.
in the morning, turn the key to II (run, not start) for 5 seconds to build up fuel pressure, then crank. if it fires right up, its pump or regulator. regulator is cheaper and easier to change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall,
I was thinking it could be an issue with the cabling since I don't really know the age. I will look into it and let you know what I find.

shupack,
I did read that in other places on the forum and have been keeping the key in position II for 3 seconds. It will most likely exhibit the behavior either this afternoon or tomorrow morning so I will wait the 5 seconds and post the results.

Thanks for the quick responses,
David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to follow up after additional testing. After a long while of the car sitting if I put the key in position II for 15 seconds it will then start right up. Most posts I read suggested taking 3-5 seconds in the key position II so I thought I would see what would happen if I left it their longer.

I would have to say that my issue is with fuel pressure. The first step I am going to take is to replace the fuel filter since it is easy and cheap. I will let you know what ends up happening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts