RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, not having done it before, can someone please give me the "idiots steps to setting / checking the timing" ???
For months now my 87' (with 3.9 93 disco eng.) has been idling like its having an epileptic fit, getting to the point where it just wouldnt start. But!, thanks to this forum and the great tips, on the weekend I reset the base idle, put a new temp sensor in, gave the stepper motor a thorough cleaning, and presto! Running almost perfect! But i'd like to check / reset the timing if required.
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'day Ian, yes i do, picking one up shortly. It seems my idle is still crap, as soon as it gets hot. Have cleaned the stepper unit, distributor, upped the idle a bit, put a new water temp sensor in for the EFI, but it still wont hold its revs. A mate fitted a 3.9 from a disco and transmission for me, but ever since its idled poorly / not at all. I was reading on a post that if the motion sensor on the tranny is playing up, this can effect idle also? Now mine isnt hooked up at all. any idea where to wire too?
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 3.9 Timing Procedure? / Bad Idle...

G'day Rufant, yes its the serpentine belt. same as in my wife's LSE. I thought about pulling parts off it to try and figure it out - but it wouldnt be worth the Grief!
Unfortunately the 3.9 and tranny didnt come from the same donor car, hence the tranny speed wires not connected, but are the same year. any ideas on where to find details to re-wire the speed sensor from the tranny to the computer etc? any pointers would be great. Dont live near a good mechanic, and the one I'd go to is so flat out, your car is there for weeks. So I want to do as much as I can before I have to bite the bullet and give up. Any suggestions will help. Once off idle its runs fine, but fuel consumption is definately high, not blowing smoke, but black exhaust pipe.
cheers,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Do you have access to the workshop manual commonly known as RAVE? It has the technical info that should cover that engine. It is available to buy relatively cheaply (in digital form) or even free to download apparently, if you look hard enough...

If not i'll give you a basic run down of how to check ignition timing.

It also has wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G'day Rufant. I have now got the Haynes manual to cover the Disco, Timing is easy enough to do...I just keep thinking that its something to do with the electronics, or possibly the lack of. When the tranny was fitted in, the speed sensor was removed to allow the old speedo cable drive to be put in. Am i right in thinking that the speed transducer is this part that was removed? If so, this connects into the engine computer, and from what I have read it effects running as well as sensing the speed for the disco electronic speedo. So I'm wondering what effect that has on the engine running?? Please see attached ( if I have managed to upload it correctly). I dont know much about the Disco, did they all have electronic speedo's?? I might be backing up the wrong tree here, but I'd better check it out.
cheers,[attachment=0:yyun8wh2]00000001.TIF[/attachment:yyun8wh2]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts