RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the temp is getting lower, my RRC is a little reluctant to start. Hasn't failed to yet and runs fine when it cracks up. Any ideas? The temperature has definitely affected this... Probably turns over 6 times before starting, as opposed to one or two when warm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's the same reason diesels have glow plugs; in lower temperatures the engine metals contract, creating tighter tolerances and more friction. Without heat, it's difficult to make sufficient compression.
Depending on how cold it gets in your part of the world, switching to a lower viscosity oil might help (see chart)
Where I'm at it never dips below 45°, so I just run 15W50 year-round.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that cold, in England. It's hardly perishing, just noticeably colder... Not really sure where to go on this one...

·
Registered
261 Posts
What year? I really mean what fuel system? Assuming your compression is good and ignition in good order, it is likely to do with the fuelling not enriching sufficiently to make it kick (like a not properly working choke)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 1990. Those were my feelings. As I say, it runs fine and ignition wise, seems fine. Good spark and mostly new parts. Any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts