RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm now the proud owner of yet another classic a G reg '89 3.5 efi... it was a bargain for less than £300 with 6mth tax and mot left on it... No logical reason to own it as I have a tidy L reg 3.9, but I just couldnt resist, and I love these cars.

HOWEVER...

The 3.5 appears to have a misfire. I've checked and serviced the car. Varous parts were changed, cap, rotor, leads, plugs, then I even slotted in a replacement dizzy I know to be good. Unfortunately it still has a misfire. It runs and starts ok, but with massive power loss with the misfire that seems more apparent under load/ throttle (hardly noticeable at idle).
After much head scratching and swapping of spare parts to try and isolate the misfire I did a compression test. All cylinder pressures are pretty much even, give or take a few psi, EXCEPT, 4 and 6 and much lower than the others.
My thoughts then turned to valves, springs etc, but how unusual it is for two cylinders next to each other both to have low compression..SO, has anyone heard of a head gasket failure between cylinders cause this issue? I'm getting no oil/coolant mixing, but it would explain coolant pressure build up long before anything starts to get warm.

I'm still driving it around in the vain hope it 'clears' with fresh oil, or completely fails!....either way an easier diagnostic.
It's quite telling that even tho my other 3.9 has 180,000 on the clock its still sweet due to regular servicing, where-as this 3.5 only has 87,000 on the clock ran lumpy, but did have gloopy thick muck in the engine oil....obviously not changed for a while.

Anyone here any thoughts/ experience of head gasket failure on these V8 units? I'm wondering if I'm heading up the right path thinking one of the head gaskets needs replacing?

cheers, Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Simon. Your troubles with yours seem to suggest the same issue with mine;

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39233

Cheers, It helps a great deal when people post up here.
I'll update this as soon as I get out and lift the offending head.

cheers, Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts