RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my father has the above range rover and the other day we had a little bit of snow and it was simply impossible to drive.

It slipped and skidding constantly, impossible to drive a short distance with any sort of control and he nearly slid in to a number of cars whilst driving very slowly.

He eventually managed to get it on to a pavement for the night and walked home feeling very embarrassed.

His old Freelander was superb in the snow in the past.

Is there something he needed to switch on or does it sound like a possible fault with something?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
He most like has lousy tires. All L322s are full time four wheel/all wheel drive. There would be nothing to switch on or change. Early L322s are just as sure footed, firm and very controlled as any other L322 in any weather condition... if they have decent tires. In addition traction control and ABS are both automatic as well so slipping and skidding should have been at a minimum. If there were any basic faults there would be warning messages and/or idiot lights on the dash.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Obviously snow tires will help. Other than that I'd say maybe pulling the abs fuse and feathering the brakes in slick conditions.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Pulling the ABS fuse also turns off the TC. :naughty:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
I am up and down a foot or more of snow with underlying ice on steep slopes every day. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde are working well. Not an off road tyre, not a snow tyre. But a 2017 compound that seems to do a fantastic job. I have amazing levels of grip, but a 2.5 ton compact vehicle will not work well on ice whatever you do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It comes down to tires, tires and tires.

Even the crappiest car with decent snow/winter tires will perform confidently in snow unless the driver purposely pushes the vehicle against the laws of simple physics.

Take the fanciest, most expensive vehicle you can find, slap on a set of worn out summer tires in the snow and you'll find yourself slipping & sliding around on the road whilst applying the grip of death on your steering wheel.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Have to agree, it's tires and or driving style. I drove 600Kms between Mississauga and Montreal on Christmas Eve through a snow storm with no problems at all. Felt safe and confident all the way.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
I had the same issue with our 2004 RR the first winter wehad it. It was down right scary at timesto drive in the snow, especially in icey conditions.

It turns out it was my rear alignment. Once the alignment was corrected it became abeast in the snow. I agree driving styleand tires should be looked at as well, but consider an alignment. I had one done at a local tire shop for under$100.00.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If the rear alignment was that far out you should have had handling issues at all times, especially on the highways. How uneven was tyre wear?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
Last weekend I was in the Sierra during a snow storm and very cold temps; I had the RR in snow-mode, plus I was using the gears to slow down the vehicle when needed - deliberately trying not to use the brakes. At an open downhill section of the road I touched the brakes, probably on impulse and it was all over, the car went sideways into a snow bank and stopped. I got out and immediately fell onto my butt - it was super icy compacted snow - so my initial disappointment in the vehicle was unjustified. My thought now was how the heck do I get out here? I got back in the RR, put it into reverse and backed right out of the dilemma with no effort. Needless to say I was very impressed. I have Continental CrossTerrains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts